Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychosis - another reason to be anti-theist
RE: Psychosis - another reason to be anti-theist
I've been thinking a lot about my religious beliefs today. I feel I need to go one of two ways: deeper into my Hindu faith (I've felt there's a certain superficiality to my Hinduism), or I could go the other direction and embrace atheism. Unfortunately I'm stuck, and one of the reasons that I am stuck is because of psychotic delusions which have religious overtones. Since I've been taking anti-psychotic medication for 1-1/2 years, the delusions are less intense, but they still seem "true" to me, even though they're not as strong as they used to be. Unfortunately for me, my religious beliefs and my delusions are entangled, making coming to a clear decision about which way to go very difficult. However, looking back on my past, it has been the psychosis itself which has been the main "harm factor" in my life (to address the OP). Yes, my psychosis does have an effect on my religious beliefs, but it's not that my religious beliefs cloaked my psychosis, and the psychosis has always been a problem in and of itself. I don't know if things would have been different in a fundamentalist sect with these delusions, but I doubt it. We talk about religious people being 'deluded', but that's just a figure of speech. Real psychotic delusions are a different beast. They tend to be fixed around specific themes, and I doubt that a truly ill person would not stand out from the rest as being what they are, mentally ill. So I think in a very few cases, religion might cloak mental illness, but not many. If anything, an anti-medicine religious stance is more likely to be problematic for the mentally ill religious person, but that's the case whether the illness is mental or physical. So, no, I don't think religion likely contributes a great deal to the problems that a psychotic individual faces in the majority of circumstances. But that's based on my own experience, and another person's experience might differ.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Psychosis - another reason to be anti-theist - by Angrboda - March 12, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2331 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 487 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2104 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2090 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 790 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 44616 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19352 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3572 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 12287 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 156077 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock