Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion
The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion
I've noticed that there's an imbalance in the way believers interact with non-believers on the Internet:

Theists:  Threats, pleas, anecdotes about "miracles," co-opting (and sometimes outright mangling) of scientific theories, and a whole catalogue of logical fallacies:  Argument from Authority, Strawman, Poisoning the Well, Burden of Proof, Equivocation Fallacy, Texas Sharpshooter, Existential Fallacy, the works.

Atheists:  Shrug, smile, and say "Not convinced.  What else ya got?"

As someone who doesn't bother going to believers' forums to try to deconvert them, I find this fascinating.

And amusing, in a sad way.

Believers, why are you investing so much of your precious time in this enterprise?  Surely you've noticed by now that it doesn't work very well at all.  Is it a desperate concern to "save" us, or are you angry that we don't believe as you do, or is it something else?

Non-believers, any particularly funny examples of failed conversion attempts that spring to mind?
RE: The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion
(July 22, 2023 at 12:02 pm)Astreja Wrote: I've noticed that there's an imbalance in the way believers interact with non-believers on the Internet:

Theists:  Threats, pleas, anecdotes about "miracles," co-opting (and sometimes outright mangling) of scientific theories, and a whole catalogue of logical fallacies:  Argument from Authority, Strawman, Poisoning the Well, Burden of Proof, Equivocation Fallacy, Texas Sharpshooter, Existential Fallacy, the works.

Atheists:  Shrug, smile, and say "Not convinced.  What else ya got?"

As someone who doesn't bother going to believers' forums to try to deconvert them, I find this fascinating.

And amusing, in a sad way.

Believers, why are you investing so much of your precious time in this enterprise?  Surely you've noticed by now that it doesn't work very well at all.  Is it a desperate concern to "save" us, or are you angry that we don't believe as you do, or is it something else?

Non-believers, any particularly funny examples of failed conversion attempts that spring to mind?

When I was 19 I knew JW's (Note: Two older looking guys, probably early 30's) were coming to my door as I saw them through my living room window knocking on other doors.  So, when they got to me I answered the door fully nude.  The highlight was one the JW's saying "Do you mind?"  Me: "No I don't mind at all".

Looking back I'm lucky I didn't catch an incident exposure charge.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Many of the theists are on what they think is a mission from their particular god to convert the heathens. Apparently, it earns you points toward that heavenly reward they are so focused on. Some are actually told they must go spread the word.

I'd imagine that you get more points if you 'get' an atheist than if you just bring someone over from a different cult. Maybe they level up if they get a non-believer.

I find the walls o' text to be annoying and the 'arguments' pathetic.

They seem to not understand how many atheists come from religion and are actually better versed in the BS.

There seems to be a script.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

What strikes me is how many of them reject their common humanity. If both atheists and theists grow on the same vine, it behooves one to have a little skepticism about one's beliefs on the matter.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
@Astreja

Quote:Theists:  Threats, pleas, anecdotes about "miracles," co-opting (and sometimes outright mangling) of scientific theories, and a whole catalogue of logical fallacies:  Argument from Authority, Strawman, Poisoning the Well, Burden of Proof, Equivocation Fallacy, Texas Sharpshooter, Existential Fallacy, the works.

‘One performs according to one’s gifts.’ - Eleanor of Aquitaine

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's virtue-signaling to themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2016 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2043 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11924 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150865 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 16619 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12790 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1116 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5588 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 117618 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 46277 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok