Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do while deciding if free will exists?
RE: What do we do while deciding if free will exists?
(April 18, 2015 at 9:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Because she -is- a solid body, in the way that we take solid to mean.  Whats the problem?
There's no problem. The myth of Mom includes her 99.99999% empty space which -is- a solid body (except for the part where we have to redefine something completely lacking in solidity as solid).

Quote:You must have a different definition for mythology than I do.  I think that you're going to need a hell of alot of poetic license to make any parity between our sensory experience and mythology stick.  Your wife not only "seems" solid...to you...she -is- solid.....to you.  For some odd reason..I can't seem to unload the dozen odd dirty jokes I have lined up in my mind for this one.....I think I might have accidentally started respecting you....sonofabitch! : wink :
The myth is in the idea of Mom, which cannot be found anywhere in the physical reality of her QM particles, atoms, molecules, proteins or tissue systems.

Quote:The comment I responded to, with that quoted section, then..seems nonsensical if you've accepted this.  Perhaps you could rephrase?  The world as we experience it is precisely what we would expect from equipment with the range of operating parameters ours has....not seeing why that's mythology, or why it is different than the physics that it is an expression -of-?
Show me something you perceive without blending it into the complex of ideas which is your world view, and I'll show you a mystical experience.

Where are ANY of the abstracts by which we describe what it's like to be human. Where/what, exactly, is beauty? Love? Inspiration? Hope? You can't define them precisely, and yet you have a sense of them. I'm not arguing free will is real. I'm arguing that most of what it is like to be human is not less real than free will. If free will is nothing, so is beauty. So is goodness. So are honor, morality, etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do we do while deciding if free will exists? - by bennyboy - April 18, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God exists subjectively? henryp 90 13131 November 21, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Tonus
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 8052 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 4040 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 48386 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  If you were certain a designer exists... Mystic 10 4348 July 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A One In An infinity Chance That God Exists. What Do You Guys Think? amateurlyinsightful 82 30515 July 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: amateurlyinsightful
  I believe everything exists. Edwardo Piet 23 5524 November 2, 2010 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Ervin
  Everything exists TruthWorthy 33 17164 March 10, 2010 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Violet