Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Christianity, blind faith is good faith
RE: In Christianity, blind faith is good faith
(May 14, 2015 at 3:52 am)robvalue Wrote: Would you accept being found guilty of murder on the strength of evidence the gospels provide? Reports written decades later by non-eye witnesses? Would you say that is fair enough and go down peacefully?

At best, such reports give you somewhere to look for other evidence. It is this other evidence that would then be used to make a conviction. Without it, it's worthless. A bunch of other non-eye witness accounts vaguely confirming a couple of minor details is again not good evidence. Or would you be happy to be sent down on that too?

It's up to each person to decide what is and isn't good evidence, from their own point of view. But my point is that I think theists make particular exceptions for their own holy books, and allow kinds of evidence they would normally dismiss out of hand with regard to any other subject in life.

Being incredibly charitable, the very best you could ever get from the bible is what eye witnesses believed happened regarding Jesus. Who cares? People can be mistaken, people can be fooled. It doesn't mean what they believed was true. With no way to verify their beliefs, it is again a case of blind faith to just assume they could all somehow not lie in their accounts, not be mistaken or deceived in their accounts and correctly identify supernatural causation which is something we can't do even today.

You can go talk to people who will swear they've been abducted by aliens, right now. Will you believe everything they tell you?

(May 14, 2015 at 7:46 am)whateverist Wrote:
(May 13, 2015 at 7:41 am)Randy Carson Wrote: Believers today do not have that direct evidence; they must rely on the indirect or circumstantial evidence. And they are blessed for accepting that evidence without the benefit of actually seeing and touching Jesus the way the original apostles did. However, this is NOT "blind faith". It is faith based upon EVIDENCE provided by eyewitnesses.

Hey, don't worry about waking a dead thread.  Obviously had a couple more day's worth of life in it.  But if you don't want to talk about it here, feel free to make a new thread.

I'll just say that what you call evidence is what most of us would call appeals to authority, the authority of your priest or your parents or the bible.  It is the faith that those who came before you wouldn't be passing on a load of crap unless it was more than that.  There is no evidence.

No shame to have faith though.  I have faith too.  Faith in my wife and friends and dog.  Faith in my own abilities to understand and communicate and make things and be in relationships.  Lots of things.  But when my father tried to hand me a load of crap and call it the baby Jesus I said no.

There are MANY murderers in jail today who were successfully prosecuted by cold-case detectives who made convincing cases based on 20-30-year old evidence to an open-minded and properly instructed juries.

Messages In This Thread
In Christianity, blind faith is good faith - by Rwandrall - March 30, 2010 at 11:01 am
RE: In Christianity, blind faith is good faith - by Randy Carson - May 14, 2015 at 7:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 9091 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7076 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well that's that christianity good riddance dyresand 11 3060 May 15, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Nope
  Christian "faith" vs. plain "faith" watchamadoodle 112 17512 March 28, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8573 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18523 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Taking blind faith and willful ignorance to a new level libalchris 5 2854 May 14, 2012 at 4:40 am
Last Post: znk666
  Robbing people blind.. for Jesus, of course. Erinome 65 26714 April 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t