Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
(July 4, 2015 at 2:28 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(July 4, 2015 at 9:09 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Why doesn't it ever occur to anybody when they come up with something that they are not the first to think of it ?

Yep. In high school, while learning Pythagorean Theorem, I was awake late one night when I figured out that 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2. Visions of Pulitzers danced in my head (ok, maybe not Pulitzers, but I thought I'd discovered something significant) until class the next day when my teacher said I'd found a Pythagorean Triple.

Oh....

I've found it's far more common for youths to think they've stumbled upon something earth shatteringly new, but it can happen to just about anyone, especially when they're learning (or even just thinking) about something that they knew little or nothing about before.

It happened to me once too.
When i discovered that momentum equals mass multiplied by velocity.
I didn't even know the terms "momentum" or "mass" or even "velocity",so my equation was something like f=w*s (Roughly translated by my younger me as force equals weight multiplied by speed).

As i grew older i stumbled upon a very similar equation in my textbook.
I was overjoyed,atlast i could tell myself that i was soooo fucking smart and that i was better than everybody else in my class.
Of course i couldn't tell this to any of my friends because then they'd make fun of me trying to seem like a genius. 
So my happiness was limited to only me - but it didn't matter.

(July 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(July 4, 2015 at 1:53 pm)pool Wrote: Putting my mind into it,thriving to obtain knowledge etc are only worthwhile if i learn something beneficial in the process otherwise it is simply a waste of my time.
Seeing how my area of interest is Programming i don't see how what i learn in the process of trying to understand how this works would benefit me.
So its a no. 
Would it be a fair trade if i taught you programming for free and you explain how this works to me?

A good grasp of mathematics is essential to being a good coder.

Stop depressing me man.
I was insecure when i entered the world of coding because of my lack of grasp of mathematics.I went for a 2 month course in Java as a starter.
It SUCKED,i was literally a looser in that class,everyone was like so fucking smart which made me sooo sad.
The teacher was really mean to me too,she said that i'll never be a good coder and that i should very well quit.Needless to say i felt useless and depressed.I quit after 2 weeks.
But after some time i realized that what i did in every day of my life could be made easier by coding.I found some real-life applications of coding.

So i went on some website and tried to learn coding(I was desperate to prove my teacher wrong).I learned so much after many hours or trying and i made an app to do all the number conversions in c++ (without any functions,like i wrote the code from scratch).
I felt so fucking happy,like FUCK YOU TEACHER i'm FUCKING AWESOME NOW.
I used my app to do all my homeworks at school HAHAHA

I later realized that all i needed to code was good logic and problem solving skills which was natural to me(Thank god.).Although i've heard that coding gaming engines and shit takes a tonload of math(Never going in that direction.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by IATIA - July 4, 2015 at 12:11 pm
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by ErGingerbreadMandude - July 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm
[Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by KUSA - July 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by Cato - July 4, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Body Future luxilius 8 1685 November 8, 2014 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Where are the people from the future? lifesagift 42 7287 September 5, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Exian
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2246 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  moon landing hoax? xxxtobymac 65 13245 November 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas