Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument?
RE: Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument?
(July 17, 2015 at 2:02 am)SamS Wrote: Has there ever been a Christian argument, or something a Christian said, that made you, for even a split second, question whether your current atheistic stance is right?

Not an argument per se.  I've never heard a proof for Christianity that didn't sound like what it was, a fallacy used to justify pre-existing belief.   The only exception being teleological arguments.  I think people have been convinced by complexity and grandeur of the world that there must be a god to create it.  And if any argument ever came close for me, that would be it. But I'm afraid even a moderate science education tends to kill it.  The wonder in the world increases with knowledge of how it works, but the sense of an outside designer decreases.

What would occasionally pull me in the direction of Christianity as a child is the absolute certainty of some believers I respected/loved.   The statement that they simply knew, suggested that maybe I was missing some way of knowing.  As a teen, I realized that they all knew rather different gods, which suggested to me that maybe they didn't really know, just thought they did.

(July 17, 2015 at 2:02 am)SamS Wrote: Even if the argument turned out to be completely fabricated or disprovable, did it at the very least draw you closer to believing the Bible is God's Word and all that such a belief entails?

Not really.  None of the arguments raised has anything to do with the Bible being the word of god.  The thing is that none of the arguments for the existence of god even approach the idea of a god with the least bit of interest in humanity, let alone that the god described in the Bible is the rather abstract first-mover, or great designer postulated by various Christian proofs.  

(July 17, 2015 at 2:02 am)SamS Wrote: If not, has there ever been an argument that you didn't know how to answer, or that surprised you  against your expectations?

Yes, and it still surprises me today.   When people claim that the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses I'm appalled by their lack of critical reading.   And I'm surprised over and over by their persistence in that belief.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument? - by SamS - July 17, 2015 at 2:02 am
RE: Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument? - by Jenny A - July 17, 2015 at 10:20 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 21507 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3484 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 6030 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4931 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians dyresand 13 4822 July 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Be honest, am I going to hell for "my" atheism? LivingNumbers6.626 156 22971 April 12, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The honest truth of it? Watson 43 20465 May 28, 2010 at 6:26 am
Last Post: tackattack