Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs
Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs
Hello everyone,
my name is Vaino. I was raised Roman Catholic. Although I still go to Church and participate in culturally Christian events, I am really an agnostic. I don't exactly know what to believe. I don't want to be too much of a skeptic just yet-- that being said, I am aware that there are many inconsistencies in Christianity, and all faiths for that matter.
My question to you:
Many atheists and agnostics, even some religious people, are skeptical of Near Death Experiences, saying that they are a product of a faulty brain which is deprived of oxygen, blood flow and is essentially confused. I found numerous articles saying that G-Force pilots experience similar visions when they are in flight simulators. This causes me to be somewhat skeptical of NDEs. I would not be surprised if they were the product of a confused brain.
I have also read from some sources which conclude that they are cultural as well. For example, Christians will see Jesus, Hindus will see other religious imagery, etc.
I am willing to accept all of that, but here is what I am confused about. Why is it that there are so many accounts of Christians seeing Jesus, but no accounts (as far as I can tell) that are genuine of an Islamic person encountering Prophet Muhammad? I spoke to a Muslim friend of mine recently who said that many people in the Islamic faith will dream of Prophet Muhammad. Why then is it, that a) there are very few Muslim NDEs to begin with, and b) that you never hear of any of them seeing Muhammad?
There are supposed accounts (by Christians so I am willing to bet that it's biased) of Muslims meeting Jesus, and being told that they are to convert to Christianity. I take these with a grain of salt because Christians tend to tell these stories. However, I am extremely curious to get your opinions/ideas/theories about why Christian NDEs tend to be much more prevalent with religious imagery known to Christians than is the case for Islamic people. 
RE: Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs
First up.

Christians love to publicise their “experiences" and since most of ys live in the West, where Christianity is dominant, we're far more likely to read about their claims.

I would be willing to state that there are likely as many claims from Muslims on sites written in Arabic.
Dying to live, living to die.
RE: Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs
http://www.livescience.com/11010-death-e...ation.html

Quote:Near-Death Experiences Linked to Oxygen Deprivation

By Benjamin Radford, Live Science Contributor | April 19, 2010 04:55am ET
There is no mystery here.
@VAINO, why is this so important to you. As a Christian I put this in a place of little importance, it's not necessary to Christianity. Christianity is a relationship with Christ as your savior, if this is part of one's life why even worry about what's on the other side, one should be assured of that reality.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
It only took me a moment to search for "Muslim NDE" and find numerous examples.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Islam isn't too keen on pictures of mo last I heard, while jebus (or the 'artist interpretation' of him) are plastered all over the place.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Sagan's Dictum pretty much covers my attitude about NDEs.

TR;DR

NDE's are not a significant enough phenomenon to be worthy of my consideration. I've filed them away with accounts of crop circles and alien abductions in my loony bin file. There is no aspect of my worldview which is shaped by anything in this file, NDE's most certainly included. I think you'll find the imagery people report in these and other silly stories also telling.

Welcome new person. Stick around. Make and intro thread and tell us more about yourself.

For me it's NDE, SchmeNDE. I don't care because no gods exist. All gods are man made and therefore a product of mans mind. Seeing a god vision during an oxygen deprived state should come as no great surprise. Even if they were none religious, they more than likely have been exposed to the concept.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome Vaino-Eesti. I hope you like it here. That Christians are more likely to have NDE's where they see Jesus and Muslims are less likely to have NDE's where they see Mohammed is something I would need more than anecdotal evidence for to accept.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here’s my question. Losty 96 7607 July 20, 2019 at 5:53 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 5350 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3385 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question Astonished 105 19901 March 23, 2017 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  A Love and Money question mcolafson 10 1956 September 26, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: mcolafson
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9463 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34453 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists ask me a question dyresand 34 7711 January 5, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  One Agnostic's View of the New Atheists Randy Carson 68 9068 September 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument? SamS 141 16072 July 26, 2015 at 9:22 am
Last Post: loganonekenobi