Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing where the candidates stand on religion.
RE: Comparing where the candidates stand on religion.
(September 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Unless you're referring to a different video than the one I posted, which isn't likely, Jillette wasn't calling Obama stupid, and he wasn't necessarily calling him a liar.

He said very frequently that he thought both candidates in the presidential race were very very intelligent, and he merely said that he hopes Obama is lying about his 'beliefs'.

However the main point he was trying to make (unless I missed something) was that it didn't fucking matter at all what a presidential candidate calls themselves, because they all have to use that magic word "Christian" in order to even have a chance of winning at all.

Yep, that was the one. Sorry if I ripped someone you like but I can't stand this guy.

You're right he didn't say Obama -or either of them- was stupid. But to suggest that they both just have to give a nod to Christianity is more than a little disingenuous. Even if Obama is as genuine a believer as Mitt, listen to what Obama actually says is the place in of religion in a pluralist society such as the US. Surely no one thinks Mitt would say the same as forcefully as Obama does.

This is but a part of what puts the lie to the tweedle dee, tweedle dum theory of politics. The two parties are far from identical. Obama has to speak about religion in a way that appeals to our masses .. you know, the tiny brained people?

He might even believe what he says. I don't know and don't really care so long as he can spell out in such a coherent way the need to justify policy decisions in ways that do not appeal to religious authority. He is absolutely genuine in this. (Who really knows what etch-a-sketch man genuinely thinks about anything?)

Frankly, if Obama was running against Penn Jillette and this guy ran as the jerk he presents himself to be, I would rather vote for a rational and intelligent theist than a blowhard atheist any day.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comparing where the candidates stand on religion. - by Whateverist - September 22, 2012 at 9:49 pm
RE: Comparing where the candidates stand on religion. - by Darth - September 25, 2012 at 12:37 am
RE: Comparing where the candidates stand on religion. - by Darth - September 26, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential candidates in 2020 NuclearEnergy 58 16918 June 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  What's up with Trump lovers comparing him to Reagan? NuclearEnergy 15 2999 April 11, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  GOP POTUS Candidates: A Field Full of Dominionists Secular Elf 12 9728 July 21, 2015 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  A Reagan I Can Stand! Minimalist 14 1733 July 17, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Media Endorsements of Presidential Candidates Tino 166 48843 November 6, 2012 at 11:35 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  An UNBIASED summary of the candidates' views? MetalSifu789 39 17898 July 14, 2012 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Poll to see where you stand! Atheist Anarchist 110 31727 March 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Meet the Real Candidates.... Minimalist 2 1316 February 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist