Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two excellent reasons to OPPOSE gay marriage in the UK
RE: Two excellent reasons to OPPOSE gay marriage in the UK
(May 18, 2013 at 11:04 am)ideologue08 Wrote: With regards to the gay marriage issue, why do you accept the government mandating who can legally marry? Don’t you think it would be more libertarian to abolish the government’s powers of defining marriage and just allow private institutions such as religions etc. to define marriage. I wouldn’t have a problem with that.
I support that idea as well, but whilst government is insistent on being in the marriage business, they should be doing it fairly.

Quote:Of course unequal things can be “right”. The NHS and the UK social welfare runs on progressive taxation, unless you oppose universal healthcare, you must accept that unequal unfair taxation does result in a greater good. Who cares about the golden rule? I don’t, I don’t see why I should. It should not applicable in all circumstances.
The NHS and social welfare do not run on progressive taxation. They run on taxation, whether it is progressive or not. There is no reason to think that a flat rate of spending tax would not be able to fund these services, especially with cuts to the ridiculous military budgets and other overspending we have in the UK.

I think the golden rule is applicable in all circumstances. Unless you are a sociopath, why would you want to treat people worse than you would treat yourself, or have people treated worse than you would be treated?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Two excellent reasons to OPPOSE gay marriage in the UK - by Tiberius - May 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can two wrongs ever make a right? ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2824 February 8, 2017 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Age of Marriage? Janice_Spokes 50 4986 May 23, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Two Selves. Edwardo Piet 18 2091 May 6, 2016 at 5:31 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
Question Two Questions... Really The Same. ShaMan 22 4453 July 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same) BrianSoddingBoru4 12 3564 July 31, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  "God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting evil" Freedom of thought 58 17525 December 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Question about two possible attributes of God FallentoReason 43 10534 June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Wink Five reasons for not antinalism Nernico 3 2177 June 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Violet