Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same)
Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same)
I'd like to try a slightly more involved version of ShaMan's excellent question.

For atheists: You need some work done on your house. The best builder available is a prominent member of one of the local churches. He fund raises for his church, and it is widely acknowledged that he contributes to pro-life causes, hands out flyers decrying same-sex marriage, and has publically voiced the opinion that atheists shouldn't be allowed to stand for political office. It goes without saying that a portion of what you pay him for his work is going to go to fund causes with which you vehemently disagree. Bearing in mind that he is the BEST builder available to you, would you hire him, or would you go with the local atheist builder, who's work isn't as good?

For theists: You need a major car repair. The hands-down best mechanic in town is well-known for being an outspoken atheist. He has demanded that the local school board let him hand out atheist literature to kids, circulates petitions to have church property appraised as real property for tax purposes, campaigned against the Nativity scene on public property, and is currently raising funds for Sam Harris to come to town and speak at the local community centre. It goes without saying that a portion of the money he earns from fixing your car is going to be contributed to these and to other atheist causes. Bearing in mind that he is the BEST mechanic around, would you hire him, or would you use a fellow theist, even if you know is work isn't as good?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same)
Atheist: Sure I'd hire him. I don't really care what one does with money one earns. As long as he is able to put his bias aside and actually do a good job.

I live in Poland and that's actually a very likely scenario. That's the default day of my life.
Awesome! I'm the best atheist auto mechanic I know. I'd hire me.

On a serious note...

I would hire the best person for the job. In real-life matters, religious beliefs don't matter. Big deal... so the theist gives his money (money that I gave him for doing a good job) to causes which I may disagree with.

I sometimes work for a Christian friend of mine, and wouldn't you know it... His cash spends the same as mine Thinking
I'm a theist, but some of my best friends are......
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'd hire the Christian to work on the house. In fact, the builder I use regularly is Christian, though not a creationist or an outspoken anti-atheist, and pro-choice to boot. He's talkative. Most construction guys seem to be. But were he a creationist, I'd still hire him.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
You lot are echoing my thoughts exactly. Puts me in mind of how George Washington answered when asked what kind of workmen should be hired at Mount Vernon:

'If they are good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa or Europe; they may be Mahometans, Jews, Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 30, 2014 at 6:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: For atheists: You need some work done on your house. The best builder available is a prominent member of one of the local churches. He fund raises for his church, and it is widely acknowledged that he contributes to pro-life causes, hands out flyers decrying same-sex marriage, and has publically voiced the opinion that atheists shouldn't be allowed to stand for political office. It goes without saying that a portion of what you pay him for his work is going to go to fund causes with which you vehemently disagree. Bearing in mind that he is the BEST builder available to you, would you hire him, or would you go with the local atheist builder, who's work isn't as good?
I wouldn't hire him. Not because he's a theist but because I don't agree with his political positions. I don't care why he's pro-life, I simply wouldn't want to fund that cause; I don't care why he wants a section of the population banned from political office, I just don't want to be associated with bigots. I take this stance every day with my shopping habits; the stores I refuse to frequent or the products I refuse to buy.
Sum ergo sum

But we don't want the Irish. [Image: coffee.gif]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The auto mechanic I go to is a VOCAL theist. He does decent work at a reasonable price though. But in your scenario, no. I would not hire that person. Once he starts actively working to deprive others of their rights that's a problem. He's allowed to BELIEVE whatever he wants. But if he actively takes steps to infringe on the liberty of others I have an issue.
Honestly, the difference between best and fifth best in construction is minor, at most.

That being said, depends on his bid. With all the money he's pissing away at church, I'll bet the second best guy has better prices.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can two wrongs ever make a right? ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2824 February 8, 2017 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Two Selves. Edwardo Piet 18 2093 May 6, 2016 at 5:31 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  One And The Same Nameless 33 5518 October 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Question Two Questions... Really The Same. ShaMan 22 4474 July 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two excellent reasons to OPPOSE gay marriage in the UK ideologue08 184 95748 June 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Question about two possible attributes of God FallentoReason 43 10548 June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Would someone recieving a bionic transplant still be the same person? Zone 7 2999 February 21, 2013 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them at the same time? Pel 20 7905 January 18, 2012 at 12:49 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko