Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking the a/theist line with family & friends
Walking the a/theist line with family & friends
I'm still sort of feeling my way around this forum, and am wondering if there other folks like me who are lurking, because I'd love to talk to you!

I'm mostly a pretty typical North American mom I guess, except that I don't believe in any god or gods or goddesses or the like. I don't hate religious people. I am extremely dismayed at how religion can negatively shape people, and the endless bloodshed it seems to cause, but on a local, personal level (among friends and family) I've also seen how it has been the source of great comfort for people during difficult times. I believe it's misguided comfort, but I can't imagine telling someone that when they are doing their best to work through something difficult.

The example I think of most often is my MIL. She lost her husband when she was in her 40's. Then just a couple of years later her oldest son died of cancer. Then a few years ago her oldest daughter died of cancer as well. Her husband and two of her five children dead. I literally can not imagine the pain of that. Her faith (and probably more importantly) the bonds she had with her church community helped her get through each of these tragedies.

I don't understand this faith. It seems so silly to me. But it's not silly to her. It's not silly to my husband. It's an important part of their lives. I think we can love and respect people even if we disagree about some things. I would never mock them for their faith. Well, perhaps I mock them in my heart sometimes Thinking but mostly I feel sad that they live their whole lives with this delusion.

I know I mentioned in a previous post that I'm not an activist and am not and never have been interested in debating the merits of atheism/theism. I'm not a scholar. I'm not a super-duper writer. I'm really just interested in having respectful, serious discussions about the practical aspects of being an atheist in a sea of theists.

I'd really love to hear from you guys who walk the same line I do. How do you handle things like the pressure to attend Christmas Eve mass or finding mom-friends who don't offer to pray for you? (Telling them to fuck off is not an option for me)

Messages In This Thread
Walking the a/theist line with family & friends - by atheistmama - December 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Christian friends SeniorCitizen 12 918 November 21, 2023 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 456 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1849 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2025 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2397 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2047 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5419 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5303 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3171 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2659 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear