Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
No rational case for God = increasingly desperate attacks on atheists
RE: No rational case for God = increasingly desperate attacks on atheists
(July 10, 2014 at 9:14 am)ManMachine Wrote: He was a Professor of European Though at the London School of Economics before retirement, he is no intellectual lightweight and I would be inclined to check his sources before laughing at him, he has a tendency to be right.
Perhaps you have a little too much faith in Gray. Of course religion is still influential in the US but you're distracting from the claim, which is that we're no less secular today than we were 150 years ago. Do we really have to go into this and start listing the differences between now and then and the progress that has been made in diminishing the influence of religion in the public sphere? (And don't twist my words into saying there's not still a tremendous amount of work to be done).

Example: No one is beaten, put to death, or put in prison for being a homosexual anymore. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with secularism, right?

(July 10, 2014 at 11:31 am)whateverist Wrote: I don't disagree with anything you've said, Simon. But I do think it is okay to criticize the minority atheist view that gods do not exist. There are plenty of 7's around and many of these seem to suffer from the same debilitating symptoms of fundamentalism as their theist counterparts.

A 7 is a person who claims to KNOW there are no such things as unicorns, leprechauns, garden faeries, or supermen/gods in reality? And you're claiming these people are on par with those who say, "I know Jesus is God and that he will come back to rapture the church" or "I know there is one God and Muhammad is his prophet?"

That's ridiculous. Even the atheist who claims to know there is no god in the same way they know the moon is not made of cheese is on much firmer ground to make that assertion than any believer has EVER been.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: No rational case for God = increasingly desperate attacks on atheists - by Mudhammam - July 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5287 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1554 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Curious Case of Coeur d'Alene StealthySkeptic 4 1522 October 24, 2014 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19480 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11031 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  A rational explanation for hell? Ace Otana 265 117457 January 26, 2014 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The Case For A Non-Absolute Morality BrianSoddingBoru4 20 5083 December 22, 2013 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Humanity's Punishment: If it was a court case. bladevalant546 68 23024 September 4, 2013 at 3:33 am
Last Post: catfish
  A rational proof of a time of manifestation of judgement (if God is accepted) Mystic 12 5578 July 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  The Case for Theism Drew_2013 332 147102 May 13, 2013 at 8:14 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01