Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God
RE: Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God
(October 16, 2014 at 10:52 pm)HopOnPop Wrote: BTW, I believe this specific notion you now described above, in my experience, has been a fairly common staple explanation made by panentheists regarding consciousness/mind origins in their worldview. Are you perhaps an agnostic who is more apt to entertain notions blowing in from that realm?
Yes, I'm more friendly to panentheism/panpsychism etc. than others here, probably.

Quote:I realize you haven't said or even suggested this notion of "psychogony" as you coined it, is something that you take all that seriously, but this conversation does make one wonder how seriously you might weight this kind of thing when weighing out the possibilities in your own head.
By psychogony, I mean the fact of the existence of mind (rather than a lack of it), rather than material structures on which it supervenes, or the flow of impressions or perceptions of which it is subjectively composed. So it's a fact by definition, not even an assertion.

Quote:Isn't it far more compelling to you to listen to what neuro-science today is largely seeing in their work -- that the mind very likely merely originates with/in/from the brain itself, simply as an emergent property that arrises out of the brain functions themselves (not unlike, say the way the programs we "experience" on our computer which are an emergent property of the selective flow of electricity across various computer hardware components)?

Just curious how you tip that scale.
There's no doubt, unless we really go to a strong idealism (the brain is an illusion) or solipsism or something, that the perceptions and ideas we experience depend massively (and perhaps solely) on the function of the brain. However, I don't think there's anything about our understanding of objective matter from which we can derive the need, or even capacity, for subjective experience to exist in this universe. In other words, I'm saying that the "how" of mind is not sufficient to answer the "why" of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God - by bennyboy - October 16, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 770 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 19907 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1726 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 6828 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6299 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2815 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8065 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13821 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 13252 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42517 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist