Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax?
(July 5, 2015 at 12:58 pm)pool Wrote: Are you saying my reasoning is faulty because i assume that Past is nonexistent when i should've arrived at the conclusion that Past is Present?

I am saying that even if your earlier reasoning was correct (which it isn't), then you should have concluded that the present is in the past.  Zero seconds ago is the present, and if zero seconds ago is in the past (which you claimed), then that would mean that the present is in the past.  Of course, that is a self-contradictory conclusion, but it is the right conclusion for the faulty argument.  Also:

(July 5, 2015 at 12:58 pm)pool Wrote: Or

Are you saying my reasoning is faulty because i assumed that:

1 second before the current time is past.
1/10 second before the current time is past.
[in general]
1/n second before the current time is past.(n>0)

It is the last of those statements that is a problem.  If n = infinity, then 1/n = 0.  Zero seconds before the current time is not the past, so your general statement is false.  It does not hold for all values of n that are greater than zero.  You also need to confine n to being less than infinity.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by IATIA - July 4, 2015 at 12:11 pm
[Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by KUSA - July 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by Cato - July 4, 2015 at 3:10 pm
RE: [Past|Present|Future] Timetravel - Hoax? - by Pyrrho - July 5, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Body Future luxilius 8 1671 November 8, 2014 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Where are the people from the future? lifesagift 42 7214 September 5, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Exian
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2241 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  moon landing hoax? xxxtobymac 65 13047 November 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas