Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm so screwed... (getting this off my chest)
I'm so screwed... (getting this off my chest)
So, as some of you may know I'm a law student and I'm on my 3rd year right now (technically 3rd year but it's my 4th because I failed last year, so I'm repeating 3rd year and doing a few classes from 4th year because I didn't fail 100% classes). Basically, I lied to my parents and told them I only failed a few classes but still managed to pass the school year. I have a scholarship that pays my tuition and costs associated with university from the government, but I'm going to lose it. I'm waiting for the responsible social services to tell me that I don't have a right to a scholarship anymore, because legally I don't meet the requirements, it's just that they take super long to reply to my request, but I already know that legally it is impossible to have a scholarship pension because I failed my school year, and failing means you will not receive pensions to fund your studies anymore.

So, my parents are super proud of me and think I'm going to be an awesome judge or lawyer, and expect highly of me - The truth is I have to pay 1000€ in tuition and have no means of doing so, I don't have a job because I live with my parents and I'm starting to really hate my degree and I'm tired, I want to drop off university. I just don't want this anymore, it's not for me as much as it used to be and classes feel boring and boring. My mom thinks I have a scholarship to pay tuition and expects me to finish my degree this school year, but it's not going to happen.

I want to do something, I don't want to be a parasite - I'd like to get a job, but I have no idea how to do it. In my country it is estimated that there's about 30-40% youth unemployment if you account for fallacious variables that accidentally tend to make the numbers lower. Aside from that, a bigger problem is short term temporary jobs. Basically it's trendy to hire people temporarily and you know beforehand that you'll go away after a period ranging legally anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. This creates an unstable employment situation where people, specially with low qualifications tend to jump from job to job without knowing what will happen to them and many times receive a low salary. Aside from that, there's a legal possibility that after the contract ends you can renovate it and basically stay for another equivalent period of time or it can even become permanent, so that leads desperate people to blindly be abused by employers with fear of losing their jobs. Minimum wage is not very high, it's about 500€ and the average rent price is 250-300€, + at least 150€ in water, electricity, etc.

I have no idea how to get a job, I was never prepared for this. But I want to earn my own money and sustain myself. Most jobs require experience, which I don't have. Most jobs with low paid wages (which I'm qualified for because I only have highschool diploma) or even decent ones require social skills and interaction, which I really suck at. Seriously, I avoid people, enjoy being alone and avoid talking to people. I'm terrible at talking to strangers and sounding convincing. I try to be nice but sometimes still convey indifference and antipathy without noticing or intending it. I have no idea what to do. Aside from knowing English, I don't have any decent skills. I'm not qualified and probably won't be good to work in most low paid jobs. 

My girlfriend is taking a degree in education and wants to work at a teacher. She is actually good at what she does. And she has a part time job right now. She always has friends who give her a job, which I don't, and she is super extrovert and persuasive. She can adapt to any job that requires social interaction and excel. She can talk to anyone and be nice, convincing. I can't. I am literally one of the worst category of people for the majority of jobs that require social interaction. There's some jobs I would actually enjoy taking, but most of those require previous experience

I'm not asking for help, I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading Smile
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
I'm so screwed... (getting this off my chest) - by Dystopia - December 1, 2015 at 8:31 am
RE: I'm so screwed... (getting this off my chest) - by brewer - December 1, 2015 at 11:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting to Know the Forum. Disagreeable 0 273 January 23, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Where do i discuss about getting fit ? Megabullshit 109 5441 May 19, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 650 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Brian, you're screwed again! Gawdzilla Sama 15 1650 September 1, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Well I'm off to Devon Cod 26 3590 August 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Cod
  Neil deGrasse Tyson off the hook! chimp3 5 1238 March 16, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Getting ready for winter. onlinebiker 21 1649 October 26, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Fell off my bike tonight Foxaèr 48 2731 October 22, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2275 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I'm off on holidays again GUBU 6 972 September 4, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: GUBU