Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers?
Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers?
I’m really excited about what I’ve been learning about physics over in the physical science forum. It requires some reflection. When I think about it there’s still some level of fiat credulity involved. Unless I put my own eye to a telescope, I’m basically taking the scientist’ word for it that they saw what they say they saw and that their interpretation of what they saw is valid.

So if I haven't totally done away with faith, why do I accept the scientists and reject the preachers?

1. Scientists don’t pretend to have immutable revelation from an unchanging god and hope people won’t notice all the discrepancies.
2. And they support their findings through further study and peer review, not threats of hellfire and damnation for anyone who disagree with them.
3. Most of all, I can study science without throwing away my sense of what is right. Science doesn’t require me to love and worship a being who is reprehensible to me.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Messages In This Thread
Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers? - by Rhondazvous - July 13, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientists detect mystery radio signal from nearby star Foxaèr 20 3607 August 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Differences between women and men. Little lunch 49 4680 August 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me! TheMonster 13 3297 July 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
Brick The genetic similarity between man and Cambanzy Is it true? king krish 34 6694 December 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientists are FUN! bennyboy 0 708 June 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9863 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Scientists on trial Epimethean 20 3816 October 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: LunchBox
  Scientists circumvent heisenbergs uncertainty principle downbeatplumb 1 3172 June 7, 2011 at 9:12 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  Shamans and Scientists Tabby 28 12605 July 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit
  ''Yes, Scientists believe in God''. CoxRox 44 16576 December 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc