Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think?
RE: Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think?
If all religion ever accomplished was to make believers into better people (and yes, 'better' is a question-begging term, I'm aware), I'd be all for it.

Unfortunately, religion also causes massive restriction, oppression, violence, and frequently institutionalizes and rewards ignorance.  Further, the notion that religion brings 'inner peace', while certainly true in some cases, frequently does just the opposite.  Muslim, Christian, Jewish, and Hindu terrorists don't really evince inner peace.  The Buddhist monks who set themselves alight as an admittedly dedicated form of protest seem to be displaying at least some inner turmoil.  Millions of people every day, all faiths, all cultures, feel cripplingly inadequate because they can't live up to the religious strictures placed on them - tell the 14 year old boy that he's going to hell because he rubs one out now and then, or the pubescent girl that she is 'unclean' during and after her menses.  Far from inculcating a sense if 'inner peace', religion saddles people with guilt over events and feelings they can't control.

No, I wouldn't encourage anyone to be religious.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - December 25, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5440 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3099 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1951 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6269 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 995 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13557 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3201 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7056 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7340 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG