Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of LGBTQ2?
What do you think of LGBTQ2?
Hello everyone, I have a question that I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

I've been confused by this and have no idea what to even think about it. You are probably familiar with the abbreviation LGBT or LGBTQ. Have you ever heard of LGBTQ2 though? This is the term that's used in Canada and I can't stand it. You're probably wondering what the 2 means right?

Apparently, the 2 supposedly means that a person has 2 spirits or 2 souls inside of them. I call BS on this term, 2 is not a thing because 1 is not a thing. There is no evidence or proof that spirits or souls exist at all so you can't claim to have 2 when not even 1 exists. Am I right?

It's infuriating and frustrating because it's like the government is pushing a religion or claiming that the First Nations religions are true.

What do you guys all think?
RE: What do you think of LGBTQ2?
It seems to be a metaphoric use of the term specifically in reference to the preceding acronym.
Quote:Etymology 1
A calque of Ojibwe niizh manidoowag (“two spirits”), from niizh (“two”) + manidoo (“spirit”).[1] Replaced berdache, which had come to be considered offensive.

Noun
two-spirit (plural two-spirits)

A Native (North) American gender-variant, homosexual or bisexual person (especially one belonging to a traditional tribal third-gender, fourth-gender or transgender cultural category that has a ceremonial role).
Usage notes
Some Native American and First Nations people include both (contemporary) gay, lesbian, and bisexual as well as (historical and contemporary) gender-variant members of their communities as two-spirit, considering the categories "essentially identical"; others view LGB people as a different category from gender-variant people.[2]
Synonyms
berdache (now considered offensive; no longer in contemporary use)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/two-spirit
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Let's simplify.

How about we just call everybody by the name on their driver's license, and quit worrying about what goes on in their bedroom???

And if they dress funny, we give them a little shit, buy them a beer - and just get on with business.....
(February 7, 2019 at 5:27 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: It seems to be a metaphoric use of the term specifically in reference to the preceding acronym.

Not really, I was listening to some First Nations nonsense today on the radio and they mentioned 2 spirited people but never once mentioned the other abbreviations so it's not always preceded by stuff. They actually think spirits exist and some people have two of them inside of them. The government endorsing this while not endorsing other religions seems like they are favoring one religion over another which not legal I don't think.

(February 7, 2019 at 5:30 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Let's simplify.

How about we just call everybody by the name on their driver's license, and quit worrying about what goes on in their bedroom???

And if they dress funny, we give them a little shit, buy them a beer - and just get on with business.....

I agree however the 2 has nothing to do with bedroom or sex or anything, it's about spirit quantity I think ?? lol wtf??
The etymology of the term is pretty cut and dry.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 7, 2019 at 5:32 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: The etymology of the term is pretty cut and dry.

Hmm. I tried reading what you posted multiple times but it all looks like a bunch of gibberish to me. What does it mean?

(February 7, 2019 at 5:32 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: The etymology of the term is pretty cut and dry.

I should also ask because my problem with it is really that the government uses the term, not so much that First Nations people use the term.

Do you think it's an issue if the government uses this religious term?
I don't.
(February 7, 2019 at 5:36 pm)no one Wrote: I don't.

Sorry I should have worded it differently. If I worded it like this would you change your answer?

What do you think of the government using the "2" in "LGBTQ2"?
What are word?  How do they mean?  Wink

-as to the question.  No, not really.  I find it unsuprising that people use well developed metaphors specific to religions in the regions in question.  It's how we talk.  

I have alot of soul, for example....as A Southern Person.  My cup runneth over, even.  This..despite the fact that I literally have no soul whatsoever, lol.
Who even cares? If someone wants to be identified as 2 spirited then that’s fine by me. Indigenous people have enough prejudice to worry about they don’t need people telling them how to identify sexually too.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5416 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3094 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 991 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7339 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38810 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4692 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1608 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5502 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 117722 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  I am a pixieist, what do you think of my proof that universe creating pixies exist? Simon Moon 69 10798 November 13, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Expired