Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible
Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible
I'm curious about the implicit, base claims of the authors of the Bible. I'm not talking about the content... because anyone can write content... but rather the implicit or explicit claims to knowledge that authorship implies. For instance, most if not all books in the Bible are in the form of a third person narrative rather than a first person eye-witness account; and as such appear to implicitly claim 'such and such happened but I wasn't there to see it directly'... eg the story of the Garden of Eden. In the case of the Gospel authors it may be the case that they claim to be eye-witnesses to some of it, but it can't be all unless they were all with Jesus at every moment, which they clearly were not.

1. So from a reductionistic point of view, for each book of the Bible, I'd like to know:
a) who was the author (if it's possible to know)?
b) what was their implicit, or ideally explicit, claim about the source of the information they are relating? (ie eye-witness, second-hand testimony, or from God; and if so in what form? eg 'inspiration', vision, dream etc)

2. And these questions then extend further up the tree to those who compiled the Bible; considering the Bible a compilation, the 'author/s' is/are the compiler/s of that compilation. So again:
a) Who were the author(s) (if it's possible to know... I think it was the Catholics but I'm not sure)
b) what was their implicit, or ideally explicit, claim about the source of inspiration about which books should be included or not? (ie did they claim divine inspiration or not, and if so in what form did it take? intuition, vision, in the case of Catholics, Papal Infallibility etc)

Messages In This Thread
Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible - by emjay - January 12, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1233 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44205 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2773 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7426 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 134069 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Methodist Church apology over abuse claims zebo-the-fat 11 2176 May 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  i noticed this with the bibles authors dyresand 0 952 January 29, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7473 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Abuse claims at former Catholic boarding school zebo-the-fat 23 6986 August 24, 2013 at 9:18 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Talk show host claims Satan made actor look like Obama. Ziploc Surprise 4 3318 March 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise