Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has Christianity truly contributed to humanity
RE: What has Christianity truly contributed to humanity
(July 26, 2023 at 1:32 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Yes there were hospitals before Christians, the Romans had war hospitals and the Greek had the opium temple equivalent. St. Basil of Caesarea did found the first public hospital that I'm aware of that would be comparison to today's hospitals.  Later, Charlemagne decreed that every cathedral should have a school, monastery and hospital attached. While I concede that a place to heal the sick wasn't invented by Christians. I don't see how any reasonable person could argue against Christian positive influence to spread public hospitalization.

To your other question

@Helios
I wasn't claiming religion as the source of anything, that's not a Christian stance. The things I listed were areas Christians, the "church", or religious dictums contributed to bettering society, as was the original question. I'm also not denying the division and two-faced ness of the "church". The question wasn't "do the scales balance?" it was "has it done anything worth anything?" Knowing that this is a poke thread though, more than likely, it is just a place for anti-theists to vent. I have no problem entertaining actual discussions but it has to be in the vein of the OP. If you want a bag on the church thread, I'm certain there are tons of other places and threads here on that.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
RE: What has Christianity truly contributed to humanity - by tackattack - July 28, 2023 at 12:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Little Wine From Corinth: A Short Dialogue by Yours Truly Mudhammam 2 928 April 9, 2017 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6977 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity has gotten Lazy with the miracles: Spooky 59 14355 December 25, 2014 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Nope
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8534 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18442 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Pope; gay marriage threat to humanity's future Dee Dee Ramone 34 10247 December 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Lucifer/Satan the Tragic Hero of humanity gorgonopsid 5 7013 November 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t