Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 6:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about meaning and perception of reality from a theist.
RE: Question about meaning and perception of reality from a theist.
Michelle_Patton Wrote:If you honestly believe that we don't do things only because we're afraid of being caught, it frightens me what someone like you would do if they ever lost their faith - without god it sounds like you think people would go around killing and raping and stealing etc......that reflects really badly on you, not us.

no, people do follow rules for more than just that reason. they follow them because: they were taught to, they don't want to do harm to others, and they have a conscious ect. however, there are no consequences for their actions above human and health consequences. if they don't get caught, and they don't compromise their health, they don't have any consequence.

Michelle_Patton Wrote:The purpose of life is life. This life, not some imaginary afterlife.

too general. and it sounds like what the bad guys did in the movie "In Time" was justifiable with this definition. good movie btw if you didn't watch it.

Michelle_Patton Wrote:I am so offended right now that you've just said my life has no purpose - fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

well what moral code do you have above humanism? what purpose do you have above society?
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question about meaning and perception of reality from a theist. - by chi pan - January 7, 2012 at 6:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 384 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 527 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 926 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3385 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65586 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6996 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9788 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 7021 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8126 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Exclamation Proof For The Materialization Of Dream Objects Into Reality A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 15 3935 August 19, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Alex K