Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 7:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel
RE: The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel
(October 2, 2013 at 2:08 am)Categories+Sheaves Wrote: I mean, I'm thoroughly comfortable with all the shenanigans infinity brings about... objects with embeddings into proper subsets of themselves, addition not being commutative on the ordinals, Russell's Paradox, Cantor's Paradox, all the odd things the axiom of choice lets you do, the unprovability of the continuum hypothesis in ZFC, the Lowenheim-Skolem theorem, etc. etc. etc.
The potential vs. actual infinity discussion is a pretty well-traveled road, and I don't think there's a ton of fecundity in the general terms (In what sense do we have an 'actual' infinity? Can I bet infinite money on a race? Is my sandwich infinitely divisible? Does space go on forever?). So in the spirit of keeping it on the concrete side... do you accept the principle of induction (on the natural numbers)? I ask this because
  • The usefulness of induction is obvious, and mathematicians who want to throw it away (finitists, ultrafinitists) are (in a sense) shooting themselves in the foot.
  • If you accept it, you're OK with dropping universal quantifiers on infinite sets (to some extent). And so the flood gates are opened!

Also: when do we get to the transfinite ordinals?

I think this misses the point. But it does get close.

The resolving clarification here would be the domain of our discussion. It's not mathematics, nor the ontology of mathematical objects, but metaphysics, ie the meeting point of mathematics and the world we live in.

We have no problem dealing with infinites in mathematics, where we can cope with the shenanigans. I'll grant that. Finitism and ultrafinitism isn't relevant here because (as I understand them), they deal with the ontology and not with the question of actual infinites in the real world..

This is provided you've caught up on what we were talking about earlier in the other thread.

The question is whether actual infinites can instantiate in the real world, which is more a matter of the juncture of mathematics and metaphysics than pure mathematics.

Messages In This Thread
The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel - by Vincenzo Vinny G. - October 1, 2013 at 9:02 pm
RE: The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel - by Categories+Sheaves - October 2, 2013 at 2:08 am
RE: The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel - by Vincenzo Vinny G. - October 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm
RE: The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel - by Categories+Sheaves - October 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm
RE: The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel - by Vincenzo Vinny G. - October 4, 2013 at 1:28 am
RE: The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel - by Cato - October 4, 2013 at 1:38 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to understand the history behind Russell's Paradox GrandizerII 8 1191 December 21, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
Smile Reverse Russell's Paradox AthiestAtheist 15 9474 February 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: AthiestAtheist