Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 3:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(January 27, 2010 at 6:13 pm)Watson Wrote:
(January 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm)Zhalentine Wrote:
(January 27, 2010 at 5:50 pm)Watson Wrote: My very best argument would be to point to certain instances in my life, my friend's lives, and my loved one's lives which, whether or not the person who experienced the was aware of them, could not logically be explained away as mere coincidence and whose only logical conclusion could be a guiding being at work.

Give us a specific example please. A lot of mysteries in life have been given credit to a god(s) until science debunked it.

Of course, no problem. Smile

These will not be scientific problems, I can assure you of that. It is a matter of experience and of understanding. Therefore, I have no doubt I will be rebuttled.

A friend of mine was at his friend's house, spending time and having fun there. As the night wore on, he felt uneasy, and decided to leave. His friend's father asked if he needed a ride, but he politely declined. He chose to walk instead, and was on his way home when he wondered if I was around and willing to hang out. When he turned the corner toward my home, however, there were police cars up and down the street, so instead he walked on.

A little later he got the idea to call his cousin and see if HE wanted to hang out. His cousin declined and said he was sick, and that was the end of it. My friend walked on and eventually passed his a relative of his house. He thought about going in, but decided against it. Just as he was about to leave, however, someone he recognized but did not expect pulled into the driveway. Wondering what was going on, he went inside and discovered that a crisis within his family had occured.(for his own personal reasons I will omit the crisis itself.)

The point of that being that, had he accepted a ride home, had he gone to my house, had his cousin hung out with him, had he walked just a little bit faster or a little bit slower, he would not have been there during a time of need for his family.

Yet on that night, he was in fact there, and he is a strong enough willed person to have a prescence which is very reassuring, so his family certainly benefited from that.

I have more if you wish, but that's freshest on my mind and works best as an example. Smile

That is extraordinarily mundane! You call that proof of divine intervention?

Remember, coincidental chains like these happen to horribly twisted fuckers all the time too, evil sons of bitches have extraordinary chains of good luck every once in a while too mate, so how do you explain that? Did god help the serial killer get away through a complex series of what seem like coincidences or were they genuinely just coincidences and only your little story was special?

Once you put it all in context it is quite obviously just probability. If there are 5 different decisions you must make to get to a particular place at a particular time then you have a given probability of getting all 5 choices correct, 1/32, that means that 1 of of 32 people that have 5 decisions to make will make the right decision by chance alone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by theVOID - January 28, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 500 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13603 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2142 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2431 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 1996 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9539 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7938 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10684 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2901 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15217 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm