Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: Tavarish i appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to my points. ok lets get underway. KCA:again you have misconstrued the kca. it does NOT say everything has a cause and the first cause is GOD. This is y your objections miss the target.

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/cosmol...gument.htm

Cosmological Argument - The Three Premises
According to Craig, the Kalam Cosmological Argument is built upon the following three premises:

1. Whatever begins to exist, has a cause of its existence.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.

Let's take a wild guess what you posit that first cause to be. I'm betting it isn't the cookie monster. This argument has been around since the late 70s in its current form (thanks to William Lane Craig).

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: VALIDITY OF KCA: deduction is widely used and generally trustworthy logic, an example is. 1. animals are made of cells. 2. a dog is an animal. 3. thus a dog is made of cells. the kca follows from this logic and is a logically valid conclusion. yes iam aware that in some cases deduction is spurious but to challenge the kca, you clearly must show that it is spurious.

The KCA first relies on assumption, then builds upon that assumption with logically fallacious statements.

It's something akin to:

1. The average family has 2.5 children.
2. The Smiths are an average family.
3. Therefore, the Smiths must have 2 or 3 children.

or:

1. All birds have beaks.
2. Octopuses have beaks.
3. Therefore an octopus is a bird.

It's simply a deductive fallacy.

I'll explain WHY:

1. Whatever begins to exist, has a cause of its existence. <-Existence being a tricky word here, i'll elaborate further.

2. The universe began to exist.<- Not necessarily. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. You'll note existence in this form means "entity composed of an association of particles", and does not imply that non-existence is an absolute void of existence, rather a lack of associated particles. I existed as a result of my birth, but I am an entity and comprised of numerous particles, which were not created, and can't be destroyed.

3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence. <- Non-sequitur. The word "existence" is used in two varied senses, and the conclusion is factually false.

I posit this:

1. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
2. The universe (as we intepret it) is comprised of energy.
3. The universe (as we intepret it) cannot be created or destroyed.

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: kca doesnt need to define GOD because it doesnt doesnt make reference to GOD. IT is used as an argument for GOD.

The kalam cosmological argument doesn't need to define God because it is only an argument for God's existence, but makes no reference to him.

Does that make any fucking sense to you?

I want to make an argument for the tooth fairy, but I don't have to define anything, just make an argument that assumes she exists,forgetting the fact that I'm latching on attributes to something that I haven't demonstrated to actually exist.

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: the big bang too is used as an argument for GOD.

Wrong. The Big Bang Theory is meant to give an explanation of the origins of time and matter within our universe. If you can use it for a God argument, I'd like to see the evidence that necessarily makes him responsible for it. No what-ifs and could-bes, I'm talking about something concrete (not necessarily empirical,but something that at least withstands logical fallacy) and reasonable.

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: BUT one would never say that the it must first define GOD.

I would. In order to make the argument valid,you would have to FIRST define God, THEN apply this argument to him. What good is making an argument for an entity with attributes you can't specify or give a credible account for?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: THE KCA simply reasons that the universe must have a cause in keeping with the causal principle, because it had a beginning, that is there was a first moment of its existence. there was a moment when no space, no vacuum, no time no matter no energy existed hence the universe, which is simply the sum of these phenomena had a starting point.

1. How do you know this?

2. How do you know energy isn't eternal?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: ID: TAVARISH you say that ID fails because replication and enviromental stressors account for the emergence of specificall complex structures pretty conclusively. my question where is the concrete evidence IN NATURE not in a computer model that accounts for specified complexity? when i asked for evidence you linked me to a paper studying a genetic algorithm, i expected some real evidence from nature.

Bacteria Make Major Evolutionary Shift In the Lab
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...50&tid=350

It really is apparent that you don't have a working understanding of the concept.

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: i am compelled to conclude that the absence of examples of upward evolution from nature drives evolutionists to resort computer simulations.

Does this make evolution any less valid?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: so as long as simulations are accepted as support for evolution as a skeptic i can rest assured that no concrete evidence for the monkey-man type of evolution has been found.

I'll take it you've never been to a natural history museum? Ever hear of the fossil record - you know, the bones God put in the ground to test our faith?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: the exaggerated faith shown to computer simulations by evolutionists is noteworthy since they frequently cant even predict next weeks weather accurately.

Evolutionists are meteorologists? WTF?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: also simulations need to be testdd in the real world to verify their validity so far simulations that claim to provide insight into evolution r massively oversimplified caricatures of the real world.

So here's how I posit your understanding of evolutionary science:

1. Scientists come up with the theory of evolution.
2. They all agree to uphold it no matter what. Obvious agenda.
3. After they can't find evidence, they make inaccurate computer models and take it as gospel.
4. ???
5. Profit.

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: GENETIC SIMILARITY: TAVARISH, genetic similarity between organisms can be used to support both ID/creation science, so its a tie.

Yup, who gives a shit what side actual evidence supports. It can be used to support the Invisible Pink Unicorn as well,is it a 3-way tie in that case?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: also note if there were not strong genetic similarities between us and other organisms we could only eat other humans. for the reason that if every other organism was fundamentally different genetically hence biochemically, there would be no way for us to digest them because their amino acids, sugars etc would be different from the ones in our bodies.

1. How to do you know this information is correct?
2. What relevance does this have to anything we're discussing?
3. We share similarities with all living things on Earth, does that mean we can eat everything?

(April 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm)roundsquare Wrote: ok. here is a link showing how genes r challenging the evolutionary tree of life.
Dang it i cant posts any links until i have 10 posts.

Fiddlesticks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by tavarish - April 4, 2010 at 12:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 500 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13597 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2142 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2431 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 1994 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9530 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7935 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10683 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2899 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15217 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm