Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 3:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheism liberated me from pointless thinking,and made my life enjoyable.
RE: Atheism liberated me from pointless thinking,and made my life enjoyable.
To me, spirituality is closely tied to emotion. And we are emotional beings. If a person wants to call that spirituality and assign it a deeper meaning, they can reap emotional rewards from it. I am no less moved by a thundering waterfall or massive cloud formation than I was as a theist, because my reaction to those was always emotional. Realizing that made the process of deconversion a bit easier, because the things that made life enjoyable were not lost when I removed god from the equation.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism liberated me from pointless thinking,and made my life enjoyable. - by Tonus - October 5, 2014 at 9:07 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3141 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2814 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3963 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2371 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you? UniverseCaptain 344 25634 November 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2946 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1444 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6526 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2127 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3211 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik