Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 6:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions.
RE: The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions.
(November 4, 2014 at 2:12 pm)LostDays Wrote: I had another thread I was writing in that drifted off onto this topic so I am going to start a new thread here.

What do you believe is the point to our existence? Is there one? Is the only function for Emotion survival? Really curious to know what everyone thinks.

Also has anyone heard of or read 'Why does the World exist?' by Jim Holt? (Curious to know!)

Have a great day everyone!

It's a great question, but I think it's a better question to ask is there a will to live in ANY living being. Also why does there seem to be a group consciousness geared towards the continuation of life?

I think about it as a universe which seems overwhelmingly empty of any meaning, morals, values, feelings. Then you have a tiny rock full of movement, thought, values, individual emotions, competition and so on and so on.

The answer might coincide with how did the first life come into being.

But talking about human feelings towards their own lives and the lives of other people around them, I think it's basically down to evolution, it's simply because we put so much meaning and importance on our lives that's why we're still here.

It's like a nervous system, it's important for survival but sometimes you wish it wasn't as powerful as it is, like if you have a bad wisdom tooth.
Sometimes I wish wasn't as scared as death as I am and I didn't love life as much as I do because death is inevitable.
But I inherited these things from the successful living, breeders of the past just like we all did.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions. - by paulpablo - November 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 794 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 20809 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1809 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6499 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2965 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1183 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8261 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
  Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums" vulcanlogician 201 22522 May 19, 2018 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 17488 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14033 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok