Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty.
RE: Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty.
(November 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm)Exian Wrote:
(November 14, 2014 at 10:23 am)Jenny A Wrote: You have it exactly except that 100 or more generations would be better.

There's another way too. Sometimes a population gets split by a geographical barrier-- a landslide separates one population/species into two. Both sides continue breeding, and for several generations if you removed the barrier there would still be one species, but there would come a time when they could no longer breed even if you lifted the barrier.

The barrier can be social too. Change one bird's mating song and he and his off-spring might become a new breeding population.

Thank you for the taking the time to critique this Jenny. I have more to say, but I don't want to derail this thread, so, for now, just know I appreciate the help. Smile

Considering I had a creationist upbringing/education, my introduction to evolution has been like that of a child. I'd say what helped me to understand this subject was the concept of ring species (finches on island A can breed with B and B with C, but A and C cannot), and looking with my own eyes at the evolution of Skinks in Australia transitioning from egg birth to live birth (they can currently do both) in response to its' change in environment from temperate climate to mountain climate. I do believe Esquilax linked to the skinks in his opening statement. Lastly, transitional fossils like this one:
Livescience.com Wrote:[Image: 5cd2013c7ed62ee98d4b21f85b929d3d.jpg?itok=3EUVg9tI]
This ancient creature was undoubtedly a fish, possessing gills, scales and fins. However, it also had features seen in modern tetrapods — four-limbed creatures like amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals — such as a mobile neck and robust ribcage.

This extinct fish had large forefins and shoulders, elbows and partial wrists, enabling it to support itself on ground. This makes it the best-known example of an intermediate between finned animals and limbed animals marking the evolutionary leap from water to land for vertebrates, or creatures with backbones.
The scientists discovered the rear portion of Tiktaalik, which contained hips as well as partial pelvic fin material. This made a direct comparison of the front and rear appendages of the animal possible. [10 Useless Limbs (and Other Vestigial Organs)]

Unexpectedly, the researchers found Tiktaalik had big, strong pelvic bones with similarities to early tetrapods.

"I was expecting to find a diminutive hind fin and pelvis,"study lead author Neil Shubin, a paleontologist at the University of Chicago,told LiveScience. "Seeing the whopping pelvis set me back a bit — I looked at it again and again, because I was quite surprised."

The pelvic girdle of Tiktaalik was nearly identical in size to its shoulder girdle, a tetrapodlike feature that would help support strong rear appendages. It also possessed a deep ball-and-socket hip joint that connected to a highly mobile femur — analogous to a tetrapod thighbone — that could extend beneath the body.

It remains uncertain how the hind appendages of the earliest limbed vertebrates were used. "Were they used to walk, swim or both?" Shubin asked.

The scientists detailed their findings online today (Jan. 13) in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://m.livescience.com/42525-early-fis...-legs.html

There's lots of examples of species alive who are obvious in transition. [Image: 3502936251_e0e0af9441_z.jpg?zz=1]

Phylogenic taxonomy (DNA) has also undoubtedly connected land mammals to ocean mammals. The transitional fossils are impressive.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary...vograms_03
[Image: cladogram_of_cetacea_within_artiodactyla.png]
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. - by Mystical - November 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1198 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 364 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Free Will Debate Alan V 82 4866 November 27, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debate Invitation John 6IX Breezy 3 687 September 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 18767 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 68189 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4488 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 17424 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4248 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6967 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie