Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
RE: Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
(January 27, 2015 at 9:40 pm)IATIA Wrote: In a deterministic universe, there would be no free will. Everything is a 'chain of billiard balls' and everything is what it had to be.
I don't think that the universe being a deterministic place is actually the most salient part of that. Imagine that it isn't...that still won't get -us- any closer to having free will. Maybe the universe isn't deterministic, maybe something, somewhere, has some of this free will. I don't think that we do. But, sure...if the universe, everything, were entirely deterministic..there'd be no room for free will, sure.

Quote:Without free will, how can I own or control anything?
Free will isn't a requirement for either of those things, that's how. So in both of those regards, it doesn't really matter if you have it or not. I gave a few examples of precisely that in my last post.

Quote:I am just a product of the 'chain of billiard balls'.
That, in your example, does not have free will - roger. Yet, your heart is still your own, and none others...and you do control it..even if you don't choose to do so, if "free will" isn't the mechanism by which that control is accomplished.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell? - by The Grand Nudger - January 27, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4854 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1230 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 678 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 647 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do femicides really exist? Macoleco 27 1925 September 21, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Sal
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 662 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 821 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  This is how bored I actually am Cod 0 388 October 2, 2019 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1841 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  On my way now... Brian37 53 3022 March 30, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: fredd bear