Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
RE: Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
(January 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm)IanHulett Wrote: Hey guys. I know I've chosen to post this question, but how do I know if whether or not I have been preprogrammed to post this? It's not like I can go back in time to rethink my decision and choose another option. Does free will actually exist? Are all our actions just a product of time? Is there a way to actually test if whether or not we have free will? Thanks a bunch.

This is probably a stereotypical question (maybe even viewed as dumb by some), however I want to know what your thoughts are on the subject anyway.
Depending on how you think about it, it's impossible to tell. As you note, you cannot reverse time and face a particular choice multiple times, and if you could you wouldn't be able to tally the results (or if you could, you now introduce a bias that can skew the results).

To me, it's a moot question. If it's impossible to tell if your actions are pre-programmed, then there's no reason to worry about it. Since there is no clear indicator that my decisions are predestined, a life with free will plays out no differently than one without, from my perspective. Hence, not something to get worked up about.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell? - by Tonus - January 27, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4852 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1230 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 678 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 647 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do femicides really exist? Macoleco 27 1924 September 21, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Sal
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 662 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 821 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  This is how bored I actually am Cod 0 388 October 2, 2019 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1841 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  On my way now... Brian37 53 3022 March 30, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: fredd bear