Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 5:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
RE: Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
(February 21, 2015 at 7:58 pm)Irrational Wrote: Just had a good think about this idea thanks to another thread. And what confuses me is that a lot of theists will argue that "out of nothing, nothing comes" but then go on to say that God created stuff from this "nothing".

I guess what my issue with this is how is this logical if "nothing" (in the philosophical sense that most theists stick to) is not meant to have any sort material from which to form anything. Nothing supposedly means no stuff, no properties, no material, etc.

I know I've posted this thought experiment before but here goes for those who missed it.

Imagine a cube of 'nothing' 200 miles in each direction, and now imagine yourself in the middle of this cube. What you observe is 'nothing'.

If you decide you want to go travelling so you set off in a direction, any direction it doesn't matter, what you see is still nothing. Although you have moved in space you have not observed any change in the properties of 'nothing', so you have demonstrated that 'nothing' is invariant or has symmetry of translations in space.

Now you find your way back to the centre of the cube, this time you want to see what happens if you wait, so you wait 20 years. After 20 years you observe no change in the 'nothing', you have just demonstrated that 'nothing' is invariant or has symmetry of translations in time.

Meanwhile back in reality your lab assistant is about to conduct an experiment in London while you are conducting the exact same experiment in New York. You make a note of your observations and you discover that your experiment in London yields the exact same result as your experiment in New York, so you determine that the results as you observe them are invariant or have symmetry in translations in space.

You then wait a month and conduct the exact same experiment in the Bahamas because London is wet and New York too busy. The experiment yields the exact same result, you can now conclude that the results as you observe them are invariant or have symmetry in translations in time. So what, you might think, that's just a thought experiment and up to this point you'd be right, but here's where it gets interesting.

If we take the symmetry of translations in space, together with the principle of least action and apply a very special theorem called Noether's Theorem (first discovered by Emmy Noether) what we arrive at is the law of conservation of momentum. This 'interesting' observation of symmetry leads to a fundamental law of physics.

This is the also the case for other symmetries. Translational symmetry in space, together with the principle of least action when applied to Noether's Theorem gives us the conservation of momentum. We also know that the laws of physics are the same in any orientation, this symmeter of rotation in space together with the principle of least action when applied to Noethr's Theorem gives us the conservation of angular momentum.

Symmetry is clearly important on a fundamental level, in fact it is deeply powerful. We know that in Quantum Mechanics that a quantum wave is symmetric with respect to rotations in complex space (global phase change), this is called gauge symmetry. This symmetry happens to lead to the conservation of electric charge. But, the Schrödinger equation tells us that Quantum waves are not symmetrical under 'local' rotations in complex space (local phase change). However if we apply a field of force, like the electromagnetic field we can restore symmetry. This remarkably means that through the use of symmetry we have a powerful way of finding new laws of physics, e.g. another field used to restore symmetry is the nuclear 'strong' field that glues together quarks.

If we go back to the beginning of our thought experiment we remember that 'nothing' has exactly the same symmetries that are fundamental to the laws of physics in our Universe, which means either you do not need to change the laws of physics to get from 'nothing' to a Universe full of matter or that there is no difference between 'nothing' and our Universe full of matter.

We may simply be patterns in a void.

MM

For those of you who find this interesting here's a Google Tech Talk on Emmy Noether and the Fabric of Reality.

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? - by ManMachine - February 22, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 5358 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11629 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 9142 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 30675 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 2904 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can the laws of physics bring something into existence? Freedom of thought 23 5757 June 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  "That's not nothing" Freedom of thought 38 7248 May 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 31056 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Name 1 Something that You are Sure of Walking Void 59 10967 July 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy Dawud 6 4438 April 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Dawud