Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do while deciding if free will exists?
RE: What do we do while deciding if free will exists?
(April 18, 2015 at 7:33 am)Rhythm Wrote: Pretty sure, Benny, that no is disputing that you're using "something" at the candle aisle.  Just not convinced that your free will is a tool that determines which candy bar you pick up..if it exists in the first place, or..more broadly, that free will is an explanation for or contributing factor to choice - assuming it does exist.  That's the amusing bit. If we could demonstrate that there were a ghost in the machine..it would get us no closer to demonstrating that the ghost was at the controls. I think theres a simpler explanation for all that ambiguity.
Nothing in my life exists as I see it, so not a problem. Smile

My wife, it turns out, is 99.9999999% empty space, but that doesn't stop me from getting annoyed when she grinds her teeth while she's sleeping. It turns out that my house, my kids, and every other thing I love are impermanent, and a couple hundred years from now, we'll all be so thoroughly erased that it's like we never existed, but that doesn't stop me from feeling it means something to go to work, save money for our dream home, and try to teach my kids life lessons. It turns out that my Mom is probably just a typical primate mammal, and all those things she did that made me feel special were really just a human mother acting like a human mother, but that doesn't stop me from getting a warm fuzzy feeling when I think about my childhood.

The fact is that I'm completely immersed in the fairy tale that we call human existence-- and free will is no less valid in that fairy tale than anything else is. The reality of physics and the reality of what it's like to be human are very different things, no?

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do we do while deciding if free will exists? - by bennyboy - April 18, 2015 at 8:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God exists subjectively? henryp 90 12602 November 21, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Tonus
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 7957 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 4012 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 47833 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  If you were certain a designer exists... Mystic 10 4295 July 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A One In An infinity Chance That God Exists. What Do You Guys Think? amateurlyinsightful 82 30102 July 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: amateurlyinsightful
  I believe everything exists. Edwardo Piet 23 5471 November 2, 2010 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Ervin
  Everything exists TruthWorthy 33 17052 March 10, 2010 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Violet