Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do while deciding if free will exists?
RE: What do we do while deciding if free will exists?
duplicate post, sorry

(April 19, 2015 at 7:25 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Doesn't follow.....here you go again..."no free will...then no -x- neener neener"......right from the very beginning.....there's just no other way you can argue free will..is there?
Why should I feel compelled to make any argument other than the one that seems best to me? From my perspective, you are special pleading: all those OTHER abstracts, illusions and miconceptions are fine, but when it comes to free will, you want to throw a penalty flag. I'm saying that nothing we experience as humans-- absolutely nothing at all-- accurately represents reality. And yet we talk about love, beauty, morals, goodness and badness, etc. as meaningful terms. The problem is that the mechanical world view you hold doesn't represent what it's like to live and experience as a human being: it fails to describe it, or to contribute anything useful to it.

So let's take free will. If we have no free will, will you then open the jails, or will you continue to expect punishment for criminals, even though all their actions are just the spear-point of a series of deterministic events? Will you give up on achieving your dreams, knowing that your success or failure are not under the control of your free agency, which is illusory? Will you continue to debate on forums as though one free-thinking individual is actually debating with others, or will you just see it all as fluctuations in quantum fields?

This is the hypocrisy of the people who are against the idea of free will. They continue to ACT as though they believe very much in free will. And if anyone attempted to limit their freedoms, they'd squawk like angry hens-- they certainly would not see the behavior of their captors as inevitable, and therefore accept them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do we do while deciding if free will exists? - by bennyboy - April 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God exists subjectively? henryp 90 12590 November 21, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Tonus
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 7953 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 4012 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 47814 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  If you were certain a designer exists... Mystic 10 4295 July 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A One In An infinity Chance That God Exists. What Do You Guys Think? amateurlyinsightful 82 30088 July 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: amateurlyinsightful
  I believe everything exists. Edwardo Piet 23 5461 November 2, 2010 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Ervin
  Everything exists TruthWorthy 33 16952 March 10, 2010 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Violet