Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant)
'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant)
So, I'm in the process of debating a christian on youtube with the help of another atheist, the christian is trying to prove god exists along with objective morality, but he's really confusing me, I'm starting to see contradictions in the very definition of god. For example:

God's omnipresent, but he's a person? To me, that makes no sense. One person can't be in two places at once, let alone everywhere in a specific moment in time.

God is everything, but God is love? To me, that doesn't sound like everything. Love is a single emotion, not everything in existence, and so therefore that definition is nonsensical.

God is a personal god, but yet billions believe in this "personal" god as one god? Is it just me, or does that really sound like the opposite of "personal?"

If god is all knowing, he has no free will because he knows what he is going to do in a million years, so he's not all powerful because anything he does in the future is limited by time. For example, if he knows he is going to move a mountain at 6pm tomorrow night, then that's what he's destined to do, and he can't change that. So, if he is all powerful, then he can't know what he's going to do tomorrow at 6pm and thus he isn't all knowing.
It's similar to the 'rock he can't move' argument. Can god create a rock he cannot move? Yes, then he's not all powerful because he can't move the rock. No, then he's not all powerful because he is incapable of making the rock that he can't move.

I'm sure these examples probably suck, I could probably make them sound better if I were on my meds. But these are some reasons why I feel 'God' is starting to make less sense to me. Theists say "Just keep searching and you'll find god." Well, I don't see that happening anytime soon, because the more I think about it, the less it makes sense.  Rolleyes Even though I tell them I want evidence, not a "divine revelation." This particular christian I was debating became upset when I became more confused at the idea of God, that he said I was plugging my ears, closing my eyes and saying "Lalalalalalala!!! I can't here you, LALALALALALA!!!" Which is ironic for obvious reasons. No, the more I think of it, the less it makes sense. That's what's going on. Not me closing my mind. Why is that so hard to understand?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3

Messages In This Thread
'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant) - by IanHulett - June 16, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Joshua James Duggar's sentence make sense? Jehanne 6 684 August 26, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1211 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 757 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2293 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8568 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10620 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Poll: Are you more or less emotional when you're completely alone? Edwardo Piet 11 1566 December 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Why do some people lack a sense of humor? NuclearEnergy 20 3705 November 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2175 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2252 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE