Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I rant for a second, about parents
Can I rant for a second, about parents
Okay well I'm a University student home for the holidays. I had a not very good semester during the fall and so I am taking a very easy Sociology course over the winter session to boost my GPA. It's so easy! There's 3 quizzes and 6 discussions. My parents are "helping" me when I'm capable of doing it all on my own. I'm in College for godsakes and I'm 23. I'm a Junior in college. I just know with my Dad helping there's going to be some things he doesn't agree with and he will somehow try to make it religious. Like "well this goes against everything the Bible says" and all that bull crap. He's done it before with one of my science classes. I mean, my parents aren't dumb (They're both lawyers and my Dad does very high end business cases) I just think they need to leave me alone and if I ask for help then give it. Basically it's turning into their class, not mine. For instance, I took a math course I really needed a few years ago and I passed it and they say the only reason I passed it was because "God helped me". How do you think that makes me feel? 

To make this simple: I'm like a foreign country that is doing OK and has it's occasional hiccups. And my parents are being the United States and getting involved when they shouldn't be unless asked. And keep in mind I have zero issue asking them for help. But it's my education, not theirs, but I digress. I'm just going to put up with this for the next 3 weeks and even though I'll probably want to blow my brains out by then at least I'll have an easy A. But just a little rant.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Can I rant for a second, about parents
Quote:Like "well this goes against everything the Bible says"

I suppose saying "well the bible is a pile of shit so who cares?" is out of the question?
I learned at the age of 19 not to get I to it with my parents over re!igion. They are preachers. So they preached at me until I was 36 years old. I never responded just listened. Now I am 57 and have not heard any preaching for 21 years. Our relationship is still intact. I won! Religion is not worth ruining relationships over.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Ugh, how irritating. My condolences.

My parents still treat me like I'm five years old and utterly incapable of doing anything.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yes you may rant about parents.

Parents are annoying.
I completely understand where you're coming from, though my situation was probably a bit different.

Parents are people, like anyone else. Some people may read that and say, "Well... duh!"

But my point is, parents make mistakes. Most people treat parenting like most people treat getting a cat or dog. Sure, some dog owners do heavy research before deciding to buy a dog... they find out what kind of temperament certain dogs tend to have... what kinds of foods certain dogs tend to prefer. Proper techniques on how to train a dog, how to communicate with your dog, how to establish dominance over your dog... etc.

Same thing with parenting. Some people get really into it and put everything they have into it, but most people, I suspect, just wing it and sort of decide how to do things as they go along. One thing I've noticed about my own parents, they do not understand boundaries. In fact, I suspect most people do not really understand boundaries.

I am not very close to anyone in my family and this is mainly because I can't stand most of the people in my family. To be completely frank, most of them are unintelligent, uninteresting, inconsiderate people. The others tend to be outright mean spirited and bitter. Therefore, because I love them, I have created certain boundaries with my loved ones. If I didn't care about them I would just disregard their existence altogether and continue living my life as if they were not there... but that's not the case.

So I have found, for myself, that creating clear, concise boundaries with my parents, and other family members, has been the best way to go.

Without boundaries any relationship can turn messy. And the longer you go without cleaning up the mess, the worse things tend to get.

Good luck with everything!
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

If they are paying for your education, just suck it up.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
23 year old junior? Give them a break, they are probably just doing their part to make sure you graduate before Christ returns.
(December 20, 2016 at 6:35 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Yes you may rant about parents.

Parents are annoying.

As a parent myself I resemble that remark.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 20, 2016 at 1:54 pm)Cato Wrote: 23 year old junior? Give them a break, they are probably just doing their part to make sure you graduate before Christ returns.

I assume he's doing a four-year, which would mean he started at 19 or 20. I don't understand what's wrong about that. Gap years are fairly common.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dumb donald's parents? no one 2 455 October 13, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1806 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 754 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Learning Hindi as a second language Alexmahone 2 505 June 5, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10492 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  About LGBT Parents Der/die AtheistIn 13 1670 December 24, 2017 at 5:42 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  2 pieces of advice for future parents ErGingerbreadMandude 68 13098 November 17, 2017 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6124 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  OP/ED RANT... "You live in your parent's basment" Brian37 59 9539 May 1, 2016 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How honest should parents be? paulpablo 282 54759 January 8, 2016 at 6:26 am
Last Post: account_inactive