Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant)
RE: 'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant)
(June 17, 2015 at 1:10 pm)robvalue Wrote: It doesn't cause it, but it does assure it will happen, if it is actual 100% knowledge. I would say we don't have any such knowledge about anything. We have predictions. You don't know about a full moon, you have a projected probability Smile

You can be assured that there will be a full moon on 1 July 2015.  But so what?  The assurance and the cause are not the same thing.  Knowledge of that fact does not compel that event to occur.

When an honest person promises you something, you may be assured of the person keeping the promise.  But the assurance does not cause the person to act.

Predicting the future, and causing it to be that way, are two completely different things.  

I have decided that I am going to drink, as long as I live.  You can count on that being true; I do not care if, in the future, a doctor tells me that it will kill me.  I will give up wine when they pry my corkscrew from my cold, dead fingers.  Does that mean that in the future, I lack free will, because I have made such a decision, and am committed to it?

(Not that it matters for the discussion, but I do not drink every day, and a typical day of drinking involves sharing one bottle of wine with my wife.  So a typical day will involve me drinking about 3 glasses of wine, not a dramatic amount that is generally unhealthy.  But if it became unhealthy for me in particular, I would not stop.  I enjoy it, and a life without enjoyment is not worth living.)

I suppose, though, that the better approach in all of this would have been to demand an exact definition of "free will" that is supposedly incompatible with knowing the future, but it really seems pretty much irrelevant to any common notion of the expression.  One may, of course, deny that there is such a thing as "free will" at all, and depending on the chosen definition, that might be the most sensible course to take.  Of course, that will be irrelevant to other definitions that people use.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant) - by Pyrrho - June 17, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Joshua James Duggar's sentence make sense? Jehanne 6 684 August 26, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1211 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 757 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2292 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8565 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10613 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Poll: Are you more or less emotional when you're completely alone? Edwardo Piet 11 1566 December 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Why do some people lack a sense of humor? NuclearEnergy 20 3705 November 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2175 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2251 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE