Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a lack of evidence be considered proof?
RE: Can a lack of evidence be considered proof?
(August 21, 2016 at 1:11 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 4:51 am)robvalue Wrote: Are there things we can't detect? If I had to guess, I'd say it's extremely likely.

My problem is when people claim to have knowledge about these things.

Say you are in the middle of the ocean and you can't see the edge, but concentric waves rings are converging right next to where you are.  What can you deduce? Anything?

I can deduce that there's probably something unusual going on. Something is probably causing the difference between the forces I'd normally expect to see and what I observe.

If you're suggesting this is evidence of something, then we are detecting that thing, indirectly.

In any case, further study is required. Also, am I even in a boat?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can a lack of evidence be considered proof? - by robvalue - August 21, 2016 at 8:27 pm
RE: Can a lack of evidence be considered proof? - by Foxaèr - February 1, 2017 at 1:58 am
RE: Can a lack of evidence be considered proof? - by Asmodee - February 1, 2017 at 11:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof of creation no atheist can debunk (100% bulletproof) insider432 277 121557 August 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15