Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People are scared and I don't blame them.
RE: People are scared and I don't blame them.
(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 3, 2016 at 6:15 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Which isn't actual light but a metaphor for things unseen.  We're back to the same problem in that God is not manifest in the sense of being apparent to our senses.

It's a metaphor but it's also represents a reality. A reality we all are part of. A reality we see with our souls all the time.

Jormungandr, you know what I don't get. Why is the purpose here in these forums simply to put question things and never affirm anything. Do Atheists truly doubt free-will that no one comes to the defense of the belief in free-will and that we ought to know we have it.

It is in the nature of skepticism to doubt.  People here believe things, but they aren't unified in their belief but in their disbelief.  There are atheists who believe in free will, and those that don't.  What is generally agreed is that free will doesn't have an otherworldly source.

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Do people truly not believe in objective value to humans? Is this actually true? 

I think the primary consensus is that these things are poorly understood, but again do not have an otherworldly existence.  Most are fine with not knowing.  Proving that the value we feel is objective has generally come up empty.  Even you resort to metaphors when asked to trace an objective source for value.

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Why is the truth Beccs found in her own words to be "there is no gods, there is no religions...", why not affirmations about ourselves, like praise, honor, value, beauty of love in objective way....

I don't think my explanation for any of these would be different than my answer for value.  These things have no obvious explanation.  Most just accept their existence as natural phenomena.  Some embrace skepticism and deny the reality of these things completely.  I think those people are jumping to negative conclusions on the basis of ignorance, but they share the skepticism that such things have a non-natural explanation.

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: The attitude here is yes even question that, doubt that....or if people don't doubt it, they don't care to come to it's defense.

Perhaps you face the questioning end of their beliefs because they are engaging yours.

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: It seems people here don't care much about meaning at all. We talk about how we can have meaning without God which is fine, yet, where is the search of higher meaning by others here? No one cares.

Theories about meaning are scarce.  Even supernatural answers don't really explain meaning.  I think many are either unaware that there is a question to be answered, or are comfortable simply not knowing the answer.  If one doesn't have an answer, there's not much to talk about.

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: The first thing that I cared about when I was Atheist is how I would finding meaning. Is meaning not important to humans? Should they not care?

And I think that not knowing scares you.  It doesn't have that same impact on everyone.  There are a lot of human experiences that we don't have good explanations for.  Being ignorant of the ultimate answers isn't necessarily a threat to most people.  It's just a fact of life.

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Why don't people talk about higher meaning and strive for that, why do people settle for such a low standard of that.

What do you mean by higher meaning?  That seems like a euphemism for supernaturally provided meaning.  Are you sure there is such a thing?

(July 3, 2016 at 6:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: What do you value most in life and why?

There is little in my life these days.  Meaning has gone out of my life and I don't see it returning.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: People are scared and I don't blame them. - by Angrboda - July 3, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blame shouldn't stop you from doing god's will Ignis 16 1293 September 11, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ahlulbayt in Quran and blindness to them is best explained by dark magic. Mystic 39 4205 May 31, 2018 at 4:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Star and I will command them so they will change the creation of Allah. WinterHold 0 585 December 8, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  I hope they were sincere believers as the boars ate them . . . vorlon13 6 1681 May 26, 2017 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In muslims schools teachers beat kids and teach them hate toward non-muslims Fake Messiah 26 4963 January 25, 2017 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda