Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 8:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
This is silly.  The sermon on the mount is not seen by critical scholarship as a transcript of any sermon on any mount, Aractus, or even many sermons on many mounts.  It is seen, as the entire book is seen, as a summary arranged by the author drawing heavily from mark, the hypothetical q, and the equally hypothetical m. I'd call that fan fic, you can call it whatever you like.

It is a collection of sayings attributed to jesus and compiled into literary form, based..ostensibly.. upon documents that no one has ever seen. All attributions to jesus are moot point, ofc, unless there actually was some historical jesus in the first place, and the attribution of sayings compiled into literary narratives doesn;t depend on the historicity of the characters the narrative clothes itself with. For all you know (and all the author knew), some or all of the sermon on the mount are the collected sayings of guys named bob, bill, and herbert...even if there -was- some historical jesus. It's good to at least discuss whatever it is you're considering for what it is, rather than what you believe it to be based upon the assumption of a historical jesus. The stories are what they are regardless of the truth of that. If someone wrote a speech in my name, and I was a historical person, that won't make that speech my speech...and the sermon on the mount was no speech of any jesus-the-man.

It was a speech written for the character of jesus, by the author of matthew, that tied nicely with OT themes (such as coming down from the fucking mountain to dispense the law.....). Even if we -were- to assume a historical jesus, it could raise itself no higher than pious historical fiction. Imagining what jesus would have said, if he said it all at once, in a dramatic and meaningful setting. "We" ofc, -don't- assume a historical jesus, but even you aren't satisfied with the narrative as it is, for what it is. You feel compelled to make shit up. Personally, I think that "matthew" felt the same way, as he surveyed whatever the hell he is supposed to have had at his disposal.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? - by The Grand Nudger - October 7, 2016 at 9:31 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2170 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1050 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 660 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5393 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6291 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 502 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 249688 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6321 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 56978 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9282 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue