Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The positive case for voting Hillary Clinton for president.
RE: The positive case for voting Hillary Clinton for president.
(November 6, 2016 at 3:03 pm)Aroura Wrote: Well said.  I do get frustrated when people put their own principles ahead of real world consequences, particularly if those consequences would not affect them much.
The real world consequences of -not- sticking to my principles is the downward spiral of presidential candidates that's given us the two turds we see before us.  We're getting what we deserve for our complacency and complicity. It;s important to note that I;m not holding out for the perfect canddate, or even close. Just a canddate that isn;t the scum of the fucking earth. If that;s too high a bar, we have bigger problems than -which- particular example of the scum of the earth sits in the oval office. We're just polishing brass on the titanic.

Quote:It feels selfish.  I'm not saying it IS selfish, as I'm sure people can spin it around and point out how going against ones own principals to supposedly help others also has drawbacks.  But since I'm apparently more of a consequentialist, I have a hard time standing in the shows of people who put their feelings ahead of the tangible wellbeing of others.

That sounds harsh, and i don't mean for it to. As you say, we are all still good people.  I'm not sure how best to phrase it.
I do have the wellbeing of others in mind..I won't be the source of credibility that our government leans on to give it's people a big, dry, shaft.  The public mandate, whatever that is, will not be -my- mandate. I won;t be the person who, for example, voted in the president who is against civil liberties when it suits them...and this comment...as much as each side thinks it only applies to the other guy....is true in both cases. I won;t be the person who voted n the president who, for example, sides wih corporations over the public when it suits them...and this comment...as much as each side thinks it only applies to the other guy....is true in both cases. I won't be the person who voted in the presdent who, fopr example, will say whatever ignorant shit they need to at any given moment when it suits them.......and this comment......as much as each side thinks it only applies to the other guy...is true in both cases.

To be perfectly honest, I exist in a segment of society that;s just about impervious to whomever may be in the whitehouse. I stand neither to lose nor gain from either candidacy. But electing either of these people will hurt some people, and in large part, the same people. It's just a matter of deciding who you're willing to give the shaft, either personally or by proxy, to. I've opted out this go round.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The positive case for voting Hillary Clinton for president. - by The Grand Nudger - November 7, 2016 at 10:34 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1031 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 894 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Compulsory Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 132 10107 December 28, 2022 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 959 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 367 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Kuchma, the president of Ukraine Interaktive 5 895 June 10, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Attack on voting Spongebob 103 6876 August 18, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1756 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  has Biden done a good job as president? Drich 400 25349 May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The electors are voting right now. Gawdzilla Sama 18 1132 December 15, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4