Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What you think of USA voting system?
What you think of USA voting system?
I think main difference is, in Europe they organize it more as a representation of a party. So you have a organization of a party with people who are interested in that common goal and they have a representative of that political party.

I dont think this really exist much in USA, because in each election there is self serving representatives of "Vote for me because i can do this and that". So i kinda feel US election system is more made for entertainment, and thats why i wonder whether serious discussions to agree or disagree even exist? Or whether its just who can yell the loudest and make a fool out of the other person.

Kind of like Metal Gear Rising fight with Raiden and Armstrong, to me thats what American politics feels to me. But what you think?
RE: What you think of USA voting system?
It's shit. It's not even remotely close to being democratic. The only system remotely as bad outside of actual dictatorships was the one that prevailed in the six counties between 1922 and 1975 when the NSUUP were upholding "a protestant country for a protestant people".
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(August 16, 2022 at 1:04 pm)Woah0 Wrote: I think main difference is, in Europe they organize it more as a representation of a party. So you have a organization of a party with people who are interested in that common goal and they have a representative of that political party.

Europe also does not have an electoral college, only the popular vote which seems more democratic.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The Electoral College needs to go. It made some sense when it was instituted but isn't needed, or fairly representative, now.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 16, 2022 at 1:04 pm)Woah0 Wrote: I think main difference is, in Europe they organize it more as a representation of a party. So you have a organization of a party with people who are interested in that common goal and they have a representative of that political party.

I dont think this really exist much in USA, because in each election there is self serving representatives of "Vote for me because i can do this and that". So i kinda feel US election system is more made for entertainment, and thats why i wonder whether serious discussions to agree or disagree even exist? Or whether its just who can yell the loudest and make a fool out of the other person.

Kind of like Metal Gear Rising fight with Raiden and Armstrong, to me thats what American politics feels to me. But what you think?
The people we vote for aren't usually flying solo, our parties are also organized around (alleged) common interests - but..an independent candidate genuinely running on what they would and could personally do for their voters would be the system working well.  Extremely well, and the closest to direct democracy we really get at that level.  There's a big tent circus atmosphere to half of our national politics for sure - but they went all in with a professional clown so that probably couldn't have been helped.  

That there is and has been serious discussion, but that this discussion happens largely outside the forming cult and between it's broad shitlist of ideological competitors...is actually one of the things that contributed to it rising to power and subsuming the traditional gop establishment.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
GIGO...
(August 16, 2022 at 2:22 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: The Electoral College needs to go. It made some sense when it was instituted but isn't needed, or fairly representative, now.

I'm hoping that the NPVIC actually gets enough states to allow the electoral college to die out. They're about 75 votes away from making that happen. Sadly, it looks like it might be an uphill battle, especially when it's becoming abundantly clear that the EC and unfair restrictions on who can vote and when are the only things keeping the Democrats from winning the White House in perpetuum.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
It's a total mess. Dumping the electoral college would be a good start in fixing the system but the Senate is perhaps an even worse problem. Wyoming and its 580,000 people get the same representation as California with its 36 million!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 16, 2022 at 2:22 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: The Electoral College needs to go. It made some sense when it was instituted but isn't needed, or fairly representative, now.

I don't think that it ever made sense. I think that the real motivation was to insure that the Aristocracy that was in power before the Revolution remained in power after the Revolution.
The American founders deliberately devised our government to not revolve around parties. As a result, we have a two-party system.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1006 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some Iranian commanded Attack to USA . AVMXF 47 2544 August 25, 2023 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1021 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Sovereign citizen - more Loony Tunes in the USA Ferrocyanide 20 1994 March 20, 2023 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Compulsory Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 132 9989 December 28, 2022 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Fireball
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1320 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think about the police? FlatAssembler 169 13682 December 19, 2022 at 12:49 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Yellow alert: warning USA in danger Eclectic 105 8024 November 25, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 4027 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4246 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman