Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:22 am

Poll: Do you consider yourself to be spiritual?
This poll is closed.
No. I'm an atheist and I am not spiritual.
69.57%
16 69.57%
Yes. I am an atheist and I am spiritual.
17.39%
4 17.39%
No. I am a theist/deist and I am not spiritual.
4.35%
1 4.35%
Yes. I am a theist/deist and I am spiritual.
8.70%
2 8.70%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Truth contest, Essential Oils and New Age Spirituality
RE: The Truth contest, Essential Oils and New Age Spirituality
Yeah, I would never call myself spiritual but I am spiritual in that very loose secular sense of being the sentimental hippy type. I believe in nothing supernatural.

This is the only sense I'm spiritual:

Sam Harris Wrote:It would not be too strong to say that I felt sane for the first time in my life. And yet the change in my consciousness seemed entirely straightforward… I had ceased to be concerned about myself. I was no longer anxious, self-critical, guarded by irony, in competition, avoiding embarrassment, ruminating about the past and future, or making any other gesture of thought or attention that separated me from him. I was no longer watching myself through another person’s eyes.

And then came the insight that irrevocably transformed my sense of how good human life could be. I was feeling boundless love for one of my best friends, and I suddenly realized that if a stranger had walked through the door at that moment, he or she would have been fully included in this love. Love was at bottom impersonal — and deeper than any personal history could justify. Indeed, a transactional form of love — I love you because . . . — now made no sense at all.

The interesting thing about this final shift in perspective was that it was not driven by any change in the way I felt. I was not overwhelmed by a new feeling of love. The insight had more the character of a geometric proof: It was as if, having glimpsed the properties of one set of parallel lines, I suddenly understood what must be common to them all… The experience was not of love growing but of its being no longer obscured. Love was — as advertised by mystics and crackpots through the ages — a state of being. How had we not seen this before? And how could we overlook it ever again?

This I can relate to. I do have experiences like this every few months. Whilst fully sober in every way. And I'm experiencing it more and more often. In fact thinking and talking about it helps me feel like it again. I feel it when I stop shutting people out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Truth contest, Essential Oils and New Age Spirituality - by Edwardo Piet - November 13, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Native Americans Spirituality yragnitup 41 5546 June 14, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You Know, Truth Be Told. Minimalist 7 3144 July 9, 2017 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Faith and "Truth vs Utility" Valyza1 31 8105 May 16, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Valyza1