Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 9:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How to convert Christians to atheists in 30 seconds (ironically, using bible)
RE: How to convert Christians to atheists in 30 seconds (ironically, using bible)
(December 6, 2016 at 1:41 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(December 6, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: That is correct. 

Though I also can't "test" a lot of other things that I believe to be true. Such as the fact that my husband loves me.

Sure you can test that your husband loves you. Not to an absolute certainty, but very close.

All you have to do is have an internal model of how someone that loves you would behave, talk, act, etc. Then compare your husband's language and actions to your model.

If he checks off most of the boxes, you can be very sure he loves you. There's your test. The claim that your husband loves you is not in the least bit extraordinary, so the above would be a pretty reliable test.

When I run even a simple test like this against your god, he does not check off any of the boxes. Let alone any of the boxes that would be required for the extraordinary claim of a the existence of a god.

That's the thing though. These "tests" (if we're going to call them that) are personal. Not something that can be proven with concrete evidence or in a lab. Someone who is a cynic about romantic love and who doesn't believe in marriage can say the boxes I created don't mean anything... that many people check off those boxes but then end up leaving their spouse or cheating on them. At the end of the day, I can only use my own logic and experiences to form my opinion.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to convert Christians to atheists in 30 seconds (ironically, using bible) - by Catholic_Lady - December 6, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 3283 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 8324 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Using scripture as proof. Incoherent-Chaos 19 2954 February 23, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  [1 second conversion] Convert theist to atheist, in 1 second ProgrammingGodJordan 252 26926 February 17, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  ★★ [4.3 SECOND conversion] ★★: CONVERT religious to atheist, in roughly 4.3 seconds. ProgrammingGodJordan 118 12841 January 18, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists henryp 63 11894 January 1, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 51896 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  The Meaning of Sin, False Christians, Atheists, and Misinterpretations TheChrist 64 15744 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Challenge to christians: Satan wrote the bible robvalue 120 25609 February 15, 2015 at 5:13 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  What will it take to convert you? Spooky 126 21302 January 1, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Tonus