Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
(December 11, 2016 at 5:11 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: But the thing is, one claim is abstract, and the other posits a claim about reality. When we're talking about the existence of a being in reality, it is not an abstraction, and cannot be evidenced by simple words.
"Being" is an abstraction.  What I perceive in reality are conglomerations of colors and shapes.  When one of these shapes is examined *very closely*, one discovers that it is a conglomeration of more shapes.  In other words, that it -- this particular shape -- is individuated in my mind as as a distinct unit with its own existence which is independent from everything else -- but that it also shares "properties" which I identify through common terms -- is an abstraction.  "I," "self," etc., are similarly concepts that are abstract and presumed to be beings in reality, but these represent a more difficult, or, at least ethereal, case.  I think theists would rightly contend that if a God exists, he/she/it cannot be dismissed on the grounds that it is like downbeatplum's claim of seeing a dinosaur lurking behind a bush; it must instead be accepted or dismissed on the grounds that it is more like an entity such as a self or a soul.

(Not sure how much this is related, but as a side note, "Being," "one," "thing," are included in what Bertrand Russell called "metaphysical terms." See p. 473 here: http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF%20Books/Hi...osophy.pdf).

(December 11, 2016 at 7:41 am)bennyboy Wrote: Yep.

What if I do not believe the senses can arrive at any kind of existential truth-- that they can be known to be true only in their own context?  What if I ask for evidence, as per your OP, that experiences CAN be used to validate metaphysical truth claims at all?

In short, what if I ask for evidence that evidence is the right way to go about proving philosophical or metaphysical truths?  Since said cannot be provided without caveat ("Oh it's the best we have so far, of course we can revise it later because science. . . "), then does it negate itself in paradox and disappear in a puff of smoke called "pragmatic assumption"?
I would agree that metaphysical truth cannot be validated by experience alone, although I see no reason why pure "abstractions" and "beings in reality" (to borrow from Thumpalumpacus' distinction) should not on some level be intertwined given that all of our notions, including those of "metaphysical truth," are "corrupted" (if you will) by the fact that we are but a "bundle of impressions" in and about this world. Or, if we are something, and this does not include either our experiences of external or internal states, I do not know what it is that this "something" is meant to suggest.  But certainly there might be some truths that we can only know through reason and not experience, such as the knowledge that there are other minds which exist and operate independently of my own, and I think you would be right to demand evidence that all philosophical or metaphysical truths demand evidence.  And yes, at the end of the day, if there is no perfect solution to a problem, I see nothing irrational with going with the one that is most pragmatic.

...Did that answer your question?  Think
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by Mudhammam - December 11, 2016 at 11:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1319 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3676 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1550 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4337 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12065 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117108 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11431 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25736 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52587 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb