Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
(December 13, 2016 at 4:26 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Absolutely, they are theories of experience.  When I throw two billiard balls together on a table, I experience the feel of my hands on them, their sound, and the sight of their movement in various directions.  What I really want to study is why things, whatever-they-really-are-or-aren't, act the whey they do in my experience.  Whether the billiard balls are things in a mono-materialism, or composite ideas in the Mind of God, or simulations in the Matrix, doesn't matter.  I have my remembered experiences, including those of being informed about things in school, and my newly-perceived experiences, including either the process of doing an experiment or the process of googling a video about it and watching it on Youtube, and I want to see how they are connected.

Whether people are or aren't real outside my experience of them, I can still consider what they say.  If they describe a mathematical relationship, say the formula for gravity, I can attempt to validate that relationship.  If they say there's a Sky Daddy, then I can attempt to validate that, too.  In either case, I am seeing if a proposed relationship (possibly proposed by figments of my imagination, but I don't care) holds true in my experience.
Yeah, I see your point and I like how you put that. Do you think that the methods humans have developed or are capable of discovering are able to handle the sorts of questions in which you are interested, or is it perhaps a fundamental reality of experiencers, or of reality, that the further you travel along a path, the more the background recedes into the distance? Or do you think it is entirely possible that you are merely asking an empty question, something that doesn't have a true or false answer apart from the kinds of descriptions that we might now be inclined to give? (ex. of an empty question: asking if a club that dissolves and is later re-formed by the same number of regular members, if it is the same club or only one that is exactly similar to it?)
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by Mudhammam - December 13, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1319 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3676 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1550 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4338 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12069 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117113 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11433 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25739 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52591 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb