Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
(December 26, 2016 at 8:17 pm)bennyboy Wrote: This is why I'm so obsessed with the idea of truth-in-context.  All the things we know can be called true, even objectively true, in context.  In the context of my everyday life, I'm very confident that if I know there's an apple on my desk, and ask my wife to go into my room and tell me what's on the desk, she'll report that fact.
Maybe, if there actually is an apple on your desk.  Would she humor you if there weren't?  

Quote:Whether my wife and the apple exist outside my experience of them is a much different context.  Whether the Universe and its rules are all that reality consists of is, too.  When we start talking about things like that, we have to acknowledge that everything we "know" is limited in context.
Limited in an irrelevant way that leads to no functional correction of any term or principle.  If, as before with the matrix or mind of god, it's all happening inside your experience and there alone, that's just what all the referent terms refer to..and there may or may not be an apple on the desk of your experience, your wife, who may or may not exist solely in the theater of your experience, may or may not report the experience apple......depending on whether or not it's there, in your experience, or she'll humor you if it isn't...again...in your experience....your level of confidence in any of the above, as in any other formulation, would be variable, as it is now....and all of the things would be precisely the same as before for all of the same reasons, as always.

Quote:To reflect back to the OP, I'd say that evidence can be taken as a brute fact IN CONTEXT: it doesn't need to be validated, and we do not need "evidence for evidence," because we are defining our context BY evidence.  Evidence itself is the framework for our mundane world view.
Pretty much, but it makes all of the wonderings above moot.

Quote:Because evidence isn't a single principle, indivisible.  You can refer to my above post to mudhammam.  If I'm a detective, and I discover your DNA at a crime scene, that's evidence-in-context: in the context of living out my mundane life, I accept that the DNA demonstrates that you were in that place.
OFC it's a single, indivisible principle.  Evidence is "that which is evident".  

Quote:If I want philosophical evidence that you, the crime scene, and the DNA are supported only by a Universe with its properties and rules, and that that universe isn't supported necessarily by something outside it and therefore non-physical, then you can't point at the bullet hole in someone's head and take it as evidence in that larger context.
Philosophy does not provide evidence, it's incapable.  It provides proof, truth, which is itself built upon that which is evident. It's nothing more or less than a system of arranging and exploring claims and relationships regarding that which is evident.  GIGO.

Quote:You call it axiomatic.  I call it brute fact in context.  I don't think in the context of daily life that we can even attempt to discard evidence as a useful tool.  But daily life is not the only context we attempt to think or communicate about, and we have to be more sensitive to what we take as given when we try to broaden the context of discussion.
Brute fact in context and axiom are, in the ways that you use the terms, interchangeable.  I allow for what is evident to be something other than a fact.  I have to ask, though, what context is it that we can eschew the evident?  What context can we avoid refering to what is evident, and how might we manage doing that, as creatures who define context....as you say above, -by- what is evident?

I get that you're trying to reach for something, but honestly, anytime I see these sorts of comments they strike me as empty deepity. An attempt to express the in-expressable, for whatever reason, to be generous. Minds of gods and matrices and even "your experience", for example, are subjects that rely on elaborate evidentiary underpinnings, whether true or false. Without those evidentiary underpinnings they are non-referent, empty terms, meaningless.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by The Grand Nudger - December 26, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1319 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3676 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1550 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4337 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12061 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117108 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11428 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25730 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52582 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb