Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
(January 16, 2017 at 4:40 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(January 16, 2017 at 9:15 am)bennyboy Wrote: There are no metaphysical theories that pass even elemental tests of evidence.  
Sure there are.  
Great news! Please produce

Quote:
Quote:And if you think you know the truth, it's because you are mistaking a reflection of your own nature as an insight into whatever's behind the mirror.
Meh, we work with what we've got.  If there's something behind the mirror, hidden from us, then there's something behind the mirror...hidden from us.  

I'd like to outline a thought experiment, and you can tell me how you would classify some of the statements, if you don't mind.

I'd look to a worm, and say, "That worm cannot know some things because of its limitations." I can see what it cannot because I don't have those limitations. I can kind of understand what a bat is doing because of a basic understanding of sonar, but I cannot know what it's LIKE to be a bat using sonar; this is due to my limitations.

So I'd take this and extend it into the unknown-- I'd say there must be some things which can be experienced, but not by me, since I do not believe I am a maximally complete organism. Those things are not so much metaphysical as inscrutable.

But what if Bob walks into the room and says, "Show me the evidence"? Would you categorize my understandings of worms and bats as evidence for my proposition? What if I start talking about all possible beings and their capacities to experience? Would you say that there must be infinite ways in which an organism could experience truth which we cannot?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by bennyboy - January 17, 2017 at 6:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1319 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3676 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1550 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4337 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12057 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117108 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11422 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25729 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52581 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb