Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
(January 20, 2017 at 7:57 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(January 20, 2017 at 7:49 am)bennyboy Wrote: I wish I could remember.  I think it was in an introductory video on QM, specifically the ones where you check your detector AFTER the photon has already passed the slit, with the result that detecting spookily affects the resultant interference pattern anyway.  Super spooky, amirite?
Not really, that's another thing that Bohmian mechanics does away with, lol.  
Yes, but it also seems to do away with testability.

Quote:So, just as a point of interest, why do you tend to focus on photons when the issue is apparently common to..well...everything?  What is it about photons that jumps out at you and makes itself the constant source of comment.  Long wondered this.
Probably because it was through reading about photons that I first became acquainted with some of the spookiness of QM. After that, because photons are so fundamental to the interactions among things in the universe. Buckyballs, however beautiful and interesting, aren't fundamental to my understanding of reality.

Quote:
Quote:There's no conceivable real-world framework that is conceivable at least to me in which you could say, "The buck stops here.  For sure there's no other framework, no greater context of which all this is a subset, and which must be accounted for in determining that some truths are actually global."
Nor for me.  If we're still talking about qm.  For all we know there's something under that as well...and we aren't really talking about waves -or- particles, but some third wholly unexpressed thing which exhibits the qualities some of us associate as being exclusively the domain of one or the other.  Yet another possible way that a potential paradox is resolved.
No doubt. If something further about light, or what's under light, comes up, then that new info defines a new context. You'd be dumb to say something like, "In the context where light isn't as we just discovered it to be, it's totally ambiguous."

My current position is that modern science tends to add complexity, paradox, and ambiguity. But I'm willing for sure to let go of mystery when mysteries are actually solved. That being said, much of what you call my "woo" comes from a deep mistrust of reality, and much of that from too many minds blown studying physics.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by bennyboy - January 20, 2017 at 9:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1319 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3944 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3676 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1550 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4337 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12061 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117108 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11428 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25730 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52582 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb