Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views?
RE: Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views?
(January 27, 2017 at 1:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 27, 2017 at 1:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Hobby Lobby has forever changed the societal landscape in using their money to ensure that corporations now have precedent, and have first amendment rights to free speech. This is absolutely atrocious to me. I don't have much use for hobby stores to begin with, but I will go out of my way to go to a Jo-Annes or a Michaels instead.

There's definitely a line. Everyone can't just do whatever they want and call it "freedom of religion," obviously. But I don't think what hobby lobby did crossed that line. There are something like 20ish different types of birth control that insurance will cover. Four of those 20 types of birth control are more notorious for causing abortions. The family who owns hobby lobby is very strongly against abortions and understandably don't want to pay for insurance for those 4 specific types of birth control. But they will pay for the other 16 or so. Also, I heard they pay their employees well above minimum as a starting pay, so it's not like they don't care for or value their employees. 

Anyway, I don't see how that is unreasonable, if that's all they've done. I'm sure I'd probably do the same if I owned my own business. 

With that being said, even if I was pro abortion, I'd still not boycott them for that. As I said, It'd be hard to find a business who didn't do something I was opposed to.

What the Hobby Lobby did was an infringement of their employees rights. Many people, especially those working for minimum wage jobs (the majority of jobs at HL) cannot afford even basic health care. For them to dictate what health care is "acceptable," then refuse to pay is morally reprehensible.

Chick-Fil-A's stance against gays went much farther than just donating to christer charities with multiple public statements condemning them.

We'll have to agree to disagree though, as it seems you see nothing wrong with what either company has done.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views? - by Ravenshire - January 27, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 836 66895 Today at 1:39 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 959 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 3210 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 905 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3188 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2550 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 2052 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 699 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 7124 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 597 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye