Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views?
RE: Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views?
(January 28, 2017 at 2:32 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(January 28, 2017 at 2:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: But they still believe life begins at conception. Not at implantation. So they are morally opposed to drugs that would keep implantation from happening, thus killing the newly conceived human. We're calling it an abortion in that sense.

This is the problem. They are literally redefining words to meet their political ends. It isn't abortion. The thing was never a living thing. You can't just change the meaning of words. Conception means a very specific thing. It isn't just a sperm touches an egg. The whole process, which includes implantation and hormonal response is a medically defined term.

(January 28, 2017 at 2:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: As for your last question, it's a bit loaded. Their employees can get those 4 birth controls if they'd like, oitside of tje plan. The conflict is the ppl who own HL have a big moral objection to abortion, so they understandably don't want the insurance they provide and pay for to cover that. And again, I don't think omitting 4 types of birth control from the 20 that are available is some sort of "limit to health care." I really don't see how that is so horribly unreasonable.

You aren't understanding the legal precedent this sets. What would stop any company that has a moral objection to premarital sex from opting out of FMLA coverage for unwed couples? Or, for that matter, legally married gay couples from family coverage for their adopted child? Or, since we get to redefine terms all over the place, what would stop me from saying that all contraception is abortion, and opting out of coverage for all women employed by me? Why should a business get to make any health decisions for any person, period? Especially when that business is accepting government subsidies to provide said coverage?

Ok. Does it really matter what they call it though? Point is, they believe life begins at conception and are very much morally opposed to drugs that would end that life. Call it an abortion or not, they don't want to pay for insurance that would include these drugs, and forcing them to do so seems a bit unfair.  

As for the second part, I keep stressing lines and reasonable limits. That was one of the first things I said, and keep saying. We're talking here about not covering 4 of 20 types of birth control lol. The slippery slope can always be taken both ways. I don't think omitting 4 types of birth control to the health care insurance you provide crosses any sort of line when there are at least a dozen other types of birth control to choose from.

EDIT TO ADD: To the first part, conception does happen before implantation. Conception is when sperm and egg meet and begin to multiply. That happens a few days before implantation.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would You Boycott a Business Because of the Owner's Political Views? - by Catholic_Lady - January 28, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 839 67651 1 hour ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 988 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 3310 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 914 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3211 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2587 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 2074 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 706 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 7145 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 604 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye