Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 7:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it true that there is no absolute morality?
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality?
(March 15, 2017 at 4:25 am)Khemikal Wrote: Maybe, but does that mean that the hypothetical best action is available to us, or, that even if we knew what it was we would be capable of actualizing it?  I don't think we have to do the best thing we could do to satisfy a moral imperative in any case.
No, I don't think so either. "Don't be a dick" is usually good enough-- if 100% of people did that, we'd have a pretty

Quote:That's not what objective morality means. A species wide social instinct is a shared moral opinion. Broken record, but.... a moral fact is not the possession of an evolved moral opinion.
I wouldn't count instinct as "opinion," personally, but I don't want to get into this as I mentioned, because it's not what we're talking about currently anyway.

Quote:It's not, at all.  The things you call objective moralities often are...but this actually isn't, even if it might not have anything to do with genetic fitness.  Do we murder our oppressors or do we kill them?  What are the moral facts of the matter, if any, that make one killing, and another murder?  We obviously possess such opinions.  They probably find, to some degree or another, their origin in evolved social instincts.......but do they correlate to any moral facts?
I'm going to get in dangerous water with this line, but maybe just for hoots, we can take a little diversion. I consider our genetic makeup, individually and as a species, a collection of facts-- a record of a gazillion interactions among mates, among prey and predators, between individuals and weather, and so on. In that sense, any instincts related to a sense of right or wrong, of social justice, and so on, are moral facts-- not in the sense that they determine what ideas represent moral truth, but in that they inform the way we are capable of thinking about right and wrong. In a sense, you could say that "morality" is really a word for a collection of social feelings, and that all the ideas about morality are moral facts-- records of the interactions between the social feelings and the specific details of the environment at a given time and geography.

The importance of the subjective perspective in determining moral ideas is pretty overrated if the self is not more than the physical expression of the DNA, and if ideas are not more than that physical expression's interactions with the environment, no?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by RozKek - February 19, 2017 at 12:19 pm
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by Astreja - February 19, 2017 at 12:14 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by brewer - February 20, 2017 at 10:28 pm
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by SteveII - February 22, 2017 at 11:01 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by SteveII - February 27, 2017 at 10:33 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by Azu - February 24, 2017 at 1:26 am
RE: Is it true that there is no absolute morality? - by bennyboy - March 15, 2017 at 8:02 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2036 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4010 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3701 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1574 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10453 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37875 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1359 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8358 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3585 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4509 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm